The provision of access and accommodation for students with disabilities is a shared responsibility among students, faculty, staff and administration. Instructors play a vital role in the accommodation process for students with disabilities at UNBC.
- Students should meet with their Instructor(s) to review and discuss the General Access and Accommodation Agreement. For this purpose, the Access Resource Centre (ARC) instructs students to arrange one-to-one appointments with their Instructors or to attend Instructors' scheduled office hours. Instructors are encouraged to retain a copy for the remainder of the semester, after which time the record can be disposed of.
- Instructors are encouraged to meet with students with disabilities so that they can review the format of their course, including evaluation methods and lab components, to determine individualized solutions to potential access matters. If questions arise about appropriate accommodation(s) within your learning environment, please seek consultation from Access Resource Centre staff.
- Information regarding disability is strictly confidential and students do not need to disclose their disability to their Instructors.
- For students who identify as a student with a disability but have not registered with the ARC, please refer them to our office.
Common Academic Accommodations
- Extra time on examinations
- Quiet environment for examinations
- Note-takers in the classroom
- Use of assistive technology in the classroom and/or for examinations
- Alternate format to print (i.e. electronic formats of course outlines, exams or any other print or visually presented course-related materials)
Accommodations must be tailored to the access needs of each student and the specific situation, as the essence of fairly accommodating students with disabilities is individualization. There is no perfect formula for alleviating all the barriers confronting people with disabilities; however, considering each student's disability-related needs as unique will assist in providing an atmosphere that is conducive to personal and educational growth. Please review the Instructor's Handbook listed below for more specific information regarding accommodating students with disabilities.
- Students registered with ARC for exam accommodations must book each midterm or exam through the ARC online booking system to request exam accommodations.
- The deadlines for booking are 5 business days prior to the scheduled quiz/midterm date and at least 5 business days prior to the first day of the exam period.
- Once the student has booked the exam, instructors will receive an automatic email confirming that the student has booked. The instructor will receive a four and two day email reminder to adjust the online exam parameters for the accommodated student. The instructor can request ARC representatives to enter the exam accommodations on their behalf up to 2 business days before the test or exam.
- Accessibility Statement for Course Syllabi
- ARC Instructor's Handbook for Accommodating Students with Disabilities
- Creating Accessible PowerPoint Presentations (MS 365)
- Creating Accessible Word Documents (MS 365)
- Supporting Students with Disabilities Resource Website
- Supporting Student with Disabilities in BC Postsecondary Course
Access Resource Centre staff