Information for International Applicants

The University of Northern British Columbia welcomes applications for admission from qualified applicants from other countries. Most international applicants must apply for full-time status to fulfill Study Permit/VISA requirements.

an exclamation point icon  A note about using agents

Applicants who are using agents to apply must ensure they enter their own email address (not an agent provided email address) in their application. Signing up for a UNBC account or Applicant Dashboard must be done with an email that belongs to the applicant. Failure to do so can result in your application being voided or rejected.

Transcripts and proof of degree

Do you require official transcripts and proof of degree to review my application?

We do not require official transcripts be mailed to us in order to assess your application for admission. Intead, you will be asked to upload unofficial (scanned) copies of all transcripts for every institution you've attended at the post-secondary (college or university) level. Don't forget to include both the front and back of your document when scanning and, if your document is not in English, include the translation to English. Official transcripts are only required if you are offered admission.

You will also be asked to upload a copy of your degree certificate/parchment(s). The certificate/parchment is the document you receive from the post-secondary institution once you have met your degree requirements and your degree is conferred or awarded. The certificate/parchment normally has the following information on it: your legal name, the type of degree, the date it was conferred and the signature of a special dignitary such as the University Chancellor, President, and/or University Registrar.

I'm not sure if I am eligible for admission. Can you review my application before I apply?

We don’t pre-assess applicants for admissibility prior to application, so we encourage you to submit your application for a fulsome review. Emailed application materials will not be reviewed. You can find detailed information on our admission requirement here. You should also review our Frequently Asked Questions here. . You can find information on country-specific degree requirements (including exemptions) and English Language test information here.

How submit official transcripts and proof of degree (if admitted)

Official transcripts must be received before you start your program:

Semester you start: Documents are due:
September August 15
January December 1
May April 15

Official transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution to UNBC. If this is not possible, students must have their mark sheets and transcripts attested by the Controller of Examinations or Registrar's Office from the issuing institution. Once attested, the information should be placed in an officially sealed envelope by the issuing institution and returned to you to forward to UNBC.  Opened transcripts will not be accepted, nor will notarized versions of mark sheets and transcripts.

All documents submitted to the Office of the Registrar must be in the original language in which they were produced. Documents not produced in the English language must be accompanied by a notarized translation into English.  The original language document should be submitted directly from the institution or in an official sealed envelope.  Documents submitted in support of an application become the property of the University of Northern British Columbia and will not subsequently be released.

PLEASE NOTE: UNBC does not evaluate academic records from the following institutions:

Spiru Haret University (Romania)

Visas and Permits

Please ensure you apply to an appropriate entry semester which will give you adequate time to obtain your Study Permit/VISA. When completing the application, if you have submitted an application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada to be a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident but it has not been approved yet, please enter the country of which you are currently a citizen. Then under the "Citizenship Status" area of the application you should enter "Study Permit".

You can find more information on our International Office website.