Non-Degree Students are normally those who wish to improve their academic background or try a graduate level course to determine if they are interested in applying at a future date to a graduate program. While coursework completed as a non-degree student may subsequently be transferred as credit to meet degree requirements if a non-degree student is later admitted to a UNBC graduate program, this is not guaranteed.
Tuition and Student Fee Information for Non-Degree Students
Non-Degree students must pay tuition for each course taken, as well as miscellaneous student fees applicable to each semester. Tuition paid for non-degree coursework is not subsequently credited towards the cost of a degree if a non-degree student is admitted to a program at UNBC. Please click below for a link to the Non-Degree Tuition Fees and to the Fees section for Student Fee information:
The application deadlines for non-degree applications are:
- For Fall Semester Courses (September start): August 15th
- For Winter Semester Courses (January start): November 15th
- For Spring/Summer Semester Courses (May start): April 15th
- For Spring/Summer Semester Courses (June/July start): At least one week prior to the course start date
Submitting An Application
Apply via the Online Application System and complete the following:
- Scan and upload unofficial transcripts for all post-secondary institutions attended, OR provide proof of having a Master's degree by uploading a scanned copy of the degree parchment
- Scan and upload a UNBC Graduate Registration Form with course information completed
- Scan and upload an email from the Course Instructor stating that he/she is supportive of you taking the course
- Pay the application fee
NOTE: Letters of reference are not required.
Taking Independent Graduate Level Courses
Applicants who wish to take graduate level courses without being in a graduate program may do so under one of the following admission categories:
- Visiting Graduate Student
- Exchange Graduate Student
- Non-Degree Student
When completing the online application for any of the categories above, answer the following question as indicated below, then proceed with the rest of the online application.
Question: "Do you want a UNBC credential?"
Visiting Graduate Student
- Western Deans Agreement (WDA)
- Canadian University Graduate Transfer Agreement (GUGTA)
- CAGS Canadian Student Research Mobility Agreement (CSRMA)
Exchange Graduate Student
Includes formal exchange students.
Non-Degree Graduate Student
Students interested in taking graduate-level coursework but not pursuing a credential are normally considered Non-Degree Students. A maximum of three graduate courses may normally be taken under this category. Please visit http://www.unbc.ca/calendar/graduate/admissions for more information on regulations.
For further information please refer to the Graduate Academic Calendar, Section 1.5.3 Non-Degree Students