Frequently Asked Questions

How many credits are required for my BComm degree?

The Bachelor of Commerce degree requires the completion of 120 credit hours or 40 classes, 3 credits each. The courses are broken into degree (common) requirements, major (program) requirements and electives which must include the Academic Breadth requirements.

What majors are available?

The BComm degree has 6 major options: Accounting, Finance, General Business, Human Resources Management, International Business and Marketing. View the Program Offerings for more information on the major you wish to pursue to confirm the courses required.

Can I do a double major?

A double major is attainable. See General Academic Regulations #23 of the Regulations and Policies for details and speak to your Student Advisor.

When should I declare my major?

Students are encouraged to declare a Major in their first semester and are required to declare before the end of the semester in which they will complete 30 credit hours. A student who transfers into the University must declare a Major at the time of application. Declaration forms are available from the Office of the Registrar. See General Academic Regulations #22 of the Regulations and Policies for additional information.

Can I change my major?

Yes, you can change your Major at any time. Just contact your Student Advisor to declare or change your Major.

How many transfer credits are accepted?

A maximum of 90 credit hours of transfer credit are accepted at UNBC for students completing a four-year program. Transfer credit normally will not be awarded for courses completed in excess of 10 academic years. Additional information on transfer credit eligibility can be found in the Undergraduate Academic Calendar under Post Secondary Admissions.

Do transfer credits impact my GPA?

Transfer credits, after admission, do not impact your GPA. The courses are used to fulfill degree requirements but are not part of the cumulative GPA.

Can I take courses at another institution?

For information on how to apply for a Letter of Permission, please see Office of the Registrar - Letter Permission or contact your Student Advisor. 

When should I register for my courses?

Schedules for May, September and January semesters are normally available by the end of March. Students are urged to register immediately after the schedules are posted as classes can fill to capacity within weeks. Check Student Online Services regularly for schedule updates.

What should I do if I can not register for a class?

Contact your Student Advisor if you have problems registering in a class. You may have prerequisite issues which can be overcome with assistance from your Advisor.

What if a class is full?

A student has several options if the class they want is full. They can choose another class for which they have the prerequisite or which they require for their degree. They also have the option to waitlist themselves for the class. Waitlisted students are in a queue and students in the queue will be registered as seats become available. Waitlists can impact the addition of new sections of a course and increasing the capacity of a course.

Can I drop a class after I have attended the first one?

Students have a predetermined time to add or drop a course without financial penalty. Check the calendar for relevant academic dates. Avoid a delay making a decision to withdraw from a class as delays will impact waitlisted students.

What is the process if a class is cancelled?

If a class is cancelled, registered students will be contacted. Problems do arise, however, if your contact information is not up-to-date. Confirming your personal information on a regular basis is very important. Personal information can be viewed and updated in Student Online Services. >

What if I have failed a prerequisite course or do not have the required grade in a prerequisite course?

Commerce/School of Business courses require students to have a C- or better on any prerequisite course. Students who have not received the minimum grade for a prerequisite course or who have failed the prerequisite must redo the course. They are not allowed to continue to the next level of courses. It is the student’s responsibility to drop the next level course and re-register in the required prerequisite course. A student will be dropped from the class without the prerequisite. >

What is Academic Probation?

Students, whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0, are put on Academic Probation. They have 30 hours or 10 classes to return their GPA to 2.0. See General Academics Regulations #47-48  of the Regulations and Policies in the UNBC calendar for details. Meet with your Student Advisor to discuss the fastest way of getting off AP.

Do changes to the calendar impact me?

Students follow the regulations and policies of the academic calendar they are admitted on. Changes to a new calendar will normally not impact a student unless the changes are retroactive or the student is readmitted. Students who are readmitted will follow the new academic calendar requirements. A copy of the calendar for the year you were admitted in is available in the calendar archive.

What other programs are available?

Commerce students may consider participating in Co-operative Education or an International Exchange while completing their degree at UNBC. More information can be found in the Academic Calendar or by visiting Co-operative Education or International Exchange and Student Programs.

How do I set up my UNBC email?

A UNBC email account is one of the official means of communication between UNBC and its students and students are responsible for checking their UNBC email account regularly. See General Academic Regulation #2 of the Regulations and Policies. Information on setting up your UNBC account, which gives access to email and other UNBC student services, is available at Information Technology Services under Computer Accounts.

How do I access my UNBC email?

From the UNBC Login Centre, select "OWA Login - Exchange Online Users" and follow the instructions which will take you to the email login.

What are the prerequisites?

A prerequisite course is an academic requirement that must be completed prior to the student taking a course. To meet Commerce/School of Business course requirements, a passing grade of "C-" or better is required in the prerequisite course. Prerequisites are used to ensure that a student has the required background to successfully complete a higher level course. When planning your degree, schedule prerequisite courses prior to the higher level courses that require them, keeping in mind that some prerequisites also require prerequisites. The prerequisites required for a course can be found in the Course Descriptions section of the Academic Calendar and in the Course Registration section of Student Online Services.

Can I repeat a course?

Except by permission of the Chair, students are allowed to repeat a course only once. Both grades are recorded on the transcript, and the higher (passing) grade of either attempt may be used for credit towards the degree and only that grade will be calculated into the GPA. Two failed attempts may result in the student being required to withdraw from that degree program. See General Academic Regulation #31 of the Regulations and Policies for more details and contact the Financial Aid Coordinator to see if repeating a course may also have implications on your student loan process.

Where can I see my final grade for a course?

In Student Online Services there are two options which will show you your grades. To see the final grade for courses in the most recent semester select "Student Records/Final Grades". Grades for all UNBC courses can be viewed by running an unofficial "Degree Evaluation" in Student Online Services.

Can I book a room for my study group to meet in?

Yes, there are two ways you can book rooms at UNBC to meet with other students or to have a quiet place to study. The Geoffrey R. Weller Library has a number of rooms that may be booked online in two-hour blocks. These are very popular so book early. If you need a room on a regular basis, for a longer period or for a larger group, other locations are available around the university and may be booked in advance through UNBC Conference & Events Services using their online Internal Room Booking Form.