They are offered in partnership with the Ontario College of Art and Design University (OCADU). Customize your own suite of courses toward your own professional micro-credential or certificate.
Students are able to customize their studies while learning core skills. Courses emphasize design and creativity while providing in depth technical, software, and studio training.
Micro-credentials are short, focused credentials that verify mastery of a skill or competency, and are designed to target high-demand skills, leading to faster hiring.
Micro-credentials are awarded in a digital form, which is verified, secure and shareable with peers, employers and educational providers.
We currently offer seven micro-credentials:
- Becoming a Content Creator: Advanced Social Media Marketing for Creative Entrepreneurs Micro-Credential
- Photography Foundations Micro-Credential
- Typography Foundations Micro-Credential
- Empathy and Social Insight for Human-Centered Design Micro-Credential
- Navigating Production with the Film and TV Industry in Ontario Micro-Credential
- User Experience (UX) Design Foundations Micro-Credential
- Video Post-Production Foundations Micro-Credential
Hone your skills in web and graphic design, animation, interactive media, photography, videography and media editing. Our certificates develop specific design and multimedia skills of your choosing while providing you with the accreditation that recognizes your technical and professional expertise.
We currently offer four certificates:
- Digital Media Skills Certificate
- Photography, Video, and Animation Studio Skills Certificate
- Graphic Design and Visual Communications Skills Certificate
- User Experience (UX) Design and Development Skills Certificate
Students must complete five distinct qualifying courses towards each certificate within 36 months. Successfully completed qualifying courses can be applied toward one certificate only.
Need to know
- Courses are asynchronous—accessible at three or four different times of the year to provide students with flexible scheduling options.
- Courses are delivered via tutorials and assignments which students may complete at their own pace.
- For online courses, students must complete and turn in all assigned material.
- Courses are either 1, 3, 4, 6, or 8 weeks in duration.
- Instructors assess the student's work and issue a grade of pass or fail.
- Students must receive a passing grade in the course, for the course to qualify towards a micro-credential of certificate.
- Course registration through UNBC Continuing Studies is accepted up to two business days before the start of the course. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require assistance.
- Once students have registered through UNBC Continuing Studies and gained access to Canvas, they must register with OCADU to qualify for a micro-credential or certificate.
- These micro-credentials and certificates are not for university degree credit.
- When students have completed all certificate requirements within the prescribed time limit, they will be able to download a printable PDF file of their micro-credential or certificate.
Please note that courses may be cancelled at any time due to low enrolment. Upon cancellation, registrants will receive a full refund.