This studio course focuses on a design-based approach to developing character art. Character design involves a combination of form, function, and personality. Using traditional media, this course will explore brainstorming and design techniques used in character development for comics, graphic novels, video game design, animation, and advertising. Group work and critiques will be a large part of the classes.
Projects will provide students with the methods needed to pursue their own character-based art goals, as well as demonstrate their skills in character art development. Students are responsible for purchasing their own supplies.
This course is offered in partnership with OCAD University to offer a wide range of courses for enhancing your career expertise in web, design, photography, analytics, and technology.
Working with your OCAD U Account
As a student, you will receive an OCAD U user account, which will grant you access to the OCAD U learning management system, called Canvas. Your Canvas account will be enabled one week prior to the start date of your course. Login at canvas.ocadu.ca.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with using your account.
Many OCAD U courses can be applied towards a certificate. Explore to learn more.
Note that students seeking a certificate must register with OCAD U via the APPLY link on the page for the certificate concerned.
Contact email@example.com for questions concerning certificates available or to confirm your chosen set of courses will qualify.
- Hands-on implementation of the process of designing a character, from brainstorming thumbnails to a final, polished Character Sheet
- Experience in working in a professional workflow, creating material than can be edited, duplicated and shared with a team
- An understanding of design for function, and of their own strengths as designers
- Explore different aspects that make up a Character, both through personality and physicality
- 6 online classroom sessions
Please note that courses may be cancelled at any time due to low enrolment. Upon cancellation, registrants will receive a full refund.