Building on existing collaborative relationships between OCAD University and the University's industry partners, the Human-Centred Design Micro-Certification Series focuses on key skills in areas of product design and development. This Micro-Certification is developed in collaboration with Myant Inc. and supported by eCampus Ontario.
OCAD U conducted over 30 user interviews with companies working in the start-up space. This market research revealed an explicit need for this specialized training. The challenge in identifying workers with these skills is hindering the development and success of their businesses. Key to growth of any business in the consumer product space is the ability to ensure these products are effectively designed to meet the needs of real people. The application of these skills to multiple industry contexts will be informed by an understanding of equity, decolonization, diversity and inclusivity.
Ideation + Prototyping is the second micro-certification in the Human-Centred Design Series. This Micro-Certification consists of one intensive course that builds on the observations and research gathered in the Empathy + Social Insight for Human-Centred Design Micro-Certification. Participants will develop a digital or physical prototype in response to the complex challenges and opportunities at the intersection of design, technology, and social theory.
This Micro-Certification will delivered online and requires a minimum of 20-30 hours of commitment with readings, exercises and application.
This course is offered in partnership with OCAD University to offer a wide range of courses for enhancing your career expertise in web, design, photography, analytics, and technology.
Working with your OCAD U Account
As a student, you will receive an OCAD U user account, which will grant you access to the OCAD U learning management system, called Canvas. Your Canvas account will be enabled one week prior to the start date of your course. Login at canvas.ocadu.ca.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with using your account.
Many OCAD U courses can be applied towards a certificate. Explore to learn more.
Note that students seeking a certificate must register with OCAD U via the APPLY link on the page for the certificate concerned.
Contact email@example.com for questions concerning certificates available or to confirm your chosen set of courses will qualify.
- Ability to describe and embed in design principles of why, where and how to use these skills
- Ability to describe and embed the cycle of user research to iterate/validate ideas
- Ability to describe and embed iterative design around constraints
- Depth of Learning Skills
- Create storyboards, flows, visual design
- Plan for inclusive and accessible design
- Present design concepts to the team, then discussing and integrating feedback
- Conduct user testing, collect feedback, apply new findings to update assumptions
- Transversal (Cross-domain) Attitudes and Skills
- Trans-disciplinary collaboration to co-create a single design
- Design thinking
- Inclusive and accessible practices and articulation of their value
- Emotional Intelligence to inform user focused design
- Iterative problem solving
- 6 online classroom sessions
- 6 online classroom sessions