Canada Research Continuity Emergency Fund - Stage 3
The Canada Research Continuity Emergency Fund (CRCEF) was announced on May 15, 2020, as part of the Government of Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan. The temporary program has been established to help sustain the research enterprise at Canadian universities and health research institutions that have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The program includes four funding stages. Three of the stages (Stages 1, 2 and 4) exclusively provide wage support for eligible research-related personnel. The remaining stage (Stage 3) supports COVID-19 related incurred costs associated with maintenance and ramp-up of research activities. For more information about the Program visit the CRCEF program webpage.
Researchers who have eligible Stage 3 costs and would like to apply for these funds should submit a Letter of Intent to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining;
- Amount of actual eligible costs incurred that will be requested; and,
- Number of research projects for which eligible incurred costs are claimed at Stage 3, broken down by category (research maintenance, ramp-up).
Eligible expenses include:
- animal and specimen care through the crisis period;
- maintenance of equipment, software, cohorts, datasets, including warranties, licenses and service contracts;
- technological equipment for remote access to maintain assets;
- safety equipment for personnel dedicated to maintenance;
- re-organizing the research environment and activities;
- additional costs to bring the research back to its pre-pandemic level, including experiments or related to the restart of collections and datasets (e.g., population-based, environmental);
- user fees charged by shared platforms to researchers to restart research activities (e.g., animal- care facilities, digital labs);
- re-scheduling and restarting human and clinical trials;
- exceptional costs to access special facilities, shared platforms and resources, knowledge transfer meetings and workshops;
- restarting, reassembling and safety checks of equipment and facilities;
- reacquiring lost and donated laboratory and field supplies and equipment, reagents, perishable materials, laboratory animal and other living specimens; and
- personal protective equipment and related items for research-related personnel.
Refer to the eligible expenses page for more information.