Upon receipt of the necessary paperwork and copies of the thesis/dissertation, the Office of Graduate Administration requires at least six weeks (thesis) or eight weeks (dissertation) before the date of defence. It is extremely rare for these time requirements to be waived, therefore students should plan their submission well in advance of the proposed date of defence.
When identifying a date for defence, students should be aware of the deadlines and blackout periods in each semester. As you review the deadlines below, remember that is the absolute final day to submit a request. You must ensure you've allowed at least six weeks (thesis) or eight weeks (dissertation) prior to the proposed defence date when you submit the form. Also note that if you submit your request for a defence at the end of the semester, you may not have sufficient time to complete revisions in order to meet the deadline for grade submission and eligibility to graduate in that semester and you will not be permitted to defend in blackout dates and may require a Time Extension to defend in next semester. Plan carefully, and if you have questions, please email (email@example.com).
In order to schedule a defence, a student must be in registered, in good academic standing with all coursework requirements complete and have achieved the required minimum cumulative GPA. Necessary forms must be on the student record. Additionally, there must be no fees outstanding.
Students must apply to graduate prior to submitting a Request for Oral Examination form.
Students should consider anticipated time for potential revisions post-defence when selecting defence dates. The final approved thesis/dissertation must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Administration on or before the GRADE deadline in the semester of defence in order to be eligible for graduation in the subsequent semester. UNBC graduates students three times a year (Fall, Winter and Spring) and convocation occurs in the Spring semester (May). In order to participate in Spring convocation, the final passing grade for the thesis/dissertation must be recorded no later than the Grade Deadline in April. Deadlines will be posted on this website as they become available.
Fall 2021 Deadlines (for Defence in the Fall semester and Winter 2022 Graduation)
- Last day to submit a request for oral examination (PhD) for 2022 Winter graduation: October 19, 2021 (8 weeks notice)
- Last day to submit a request for oral examination (Master's Degree with External Examiner) for 2022 Winter graduation: November 2, 2021 (6 weeks notice)
- Last day to submit final document post-defence with all revisions approved in order to graduate in Winter 2022: December 15, 2021 (grade deadline)
- Blackout period for defences (no defences can be scheduled during this time): December 14 to January 10, 2022
Winter 2022 Deadlines (for Defence in the Winter semester and Spring graduation)
- Last day to submit a request for oral examination (PhD.) for 2022 Spring Graduation: March 2, 2022
- Last day to submit a request for oral examination (Master's Degree/Project) for 2022 Spring Graduation: March 10, 2022
- Last day to submit final document post-defence with all revisions approved in order to graduate in Spring 2022: April 22, 2022 (grade deadline)
- Blackout period for defences (no defences can be scheduled during this time): April 21, 2022 to May 6, 2022
Spring 2022 Deadlines (for Defence in the Spring semester and Fall graduation)
Note: that in order to meet requirements for end of term processing, we require final documents in our office no later than August 26 (Final GRADE Deadline). We encourage students to submit their request to defend early.
- Last day to submit a request for oral examination (PhD) for 2022 Fall graduation: June 24, 2022
- Last day to submit a request for oral examination (Master's Degree/Project) for 2022 Fall graduation: July 14, 2022
- Last day to submit final document post-defence with all revisions approved in order to graduate in Fall 2022: August 26, 2022 (grade deadline)
- Blackout period for defences (no defences can be scheduled during this time): August 25, 2022 to September 9, 2022
Location of Defence
Updated October 19, 2021: In keeping with Covid-19 safety measures, defences are currently operating remotely via Zoom. Further updates as this changes will be included on the Covid-19 communication page and on this website.
2 Weeks to 72 Hours Prior to Defence
The defence will only proceed if the following requirements are met two weeks prior (PhD) to 72 hours before the defence date:
- The Office of Graduate Administration has received the External Examiner Report and Declaration two weeks before the PhD. defence is to proceed.
- The Office of Graduate Administration has received the final copy of the Powerpoint Presentation (PPT) either 72 hours before the defence, or the day before the Practice Run.
- If a committee member or external examiner is unable to attend and will be submitting questions in lieu, the questions for the defence must be submitted 2 days before the defence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students will receive post-defence instruction from the Office of Graduate Administration by email shortly after our office receives the Results of Oral from the Defence Chair. Students will NOT have met degree requirements until all items are completed as indicated in those post-defence instructions.