Scheduling a Doctoral Oral Examination (Defence)
Deadline for Request
Upon receipt of the necessary paperwork and copies of the dissertation, the Office of Graduate Administration requires eight weeks before the date of defence for request processing. It is rare for these time requirements to be waived therefore student should plan their submission well in advance of the proposed date of defence.
When identifying a date for defence, student should be aware of the deadlines and blackout periods in each semester. As you review the deadlines below, remember that is the absolute final day to submit a request. You must ensure you've allowed at least eight weeks prior to the proposed defence date when you submit the form. Also note that if you submit your request for a defence at the end of the semester, you may not have sufficient time to complete revisions in order to meet the deadline for grade submission and eligibility to graduate in that semester. Plan carefully, and if you have questions, please ask (email@example.com).
Winter 2022 Deadlines
- Last day to submit a request for oral examination (PhD) for 2022 Spring graduation: February 18, 2022
- Last day to submit final document post-defence with all revisions approved in order to graduate in Spring 2022: April 26, 2022 (grade deadline)
- Blackout period for defences (no defences can be scheduled during this time): April 21, 2022 to May 6th, 2022
Spring 2022 Deadlines
- Last day to submit a request for oral examination (PhD) for 2022 Fall graduation: June 24, 2022
- Last day to submit final document post-defence with all revisions approved in order to graduate in Fall 2022: August 23, 2022 (grade deadline)
- Blackout period for defences (no defences can be scheduled during this time): August 25, 2022 to September 9, 2022
Fall 2021 Deadlines
Note that in order to meet requirements for end of term processing prior to the Christmas break, we require final documents in our office no later than December 21. We encourage students to submit their request to defend early.
- Last day to submit a request for oral examination (PhD) for 2022 Winter graduation: October 19, 2021
- Last day to submit final document post-defence with all revisions approved in order to graduate in Fall 2021: December 21, 2021 (grade deadline)
- Blackout period for defences (no defences can be scheduled during this time): December 15 to January 10, 2022
Forms and Requirements
Request for Oral Examination: At least 8 weeks prior to the date of oral examination, submit the request for exam. Along with this request, you must also include both a Word and PDF copy of your dissertation to firstname.lastname@example.org. Request for Oral Examination (PhD)
Booklet: For students who wish to have this document distributed during the oral examination, the booklet template should also be submitted. Booklet
Declaration of Readiness for Examination: All members of the student's doctoral supervisory committee must confirm the student is ready to proceed to defence. These forms are submitted to email@example.com but will be shared with the student prior to the defence along with the external examiner's report. Declaration of Readiness for Oral Examination
(Optional) Restricted Oral Examination: For requests to restrict the oral examination, this form must be included with the request to schedule the oral examination. Restricted Oral Examination form
Presentation: 72 hours prior to the defence, students are also required to submit a copy of their PowerPoint presentation to firstname.lastname@example.org.