Frequently Asked Questions

Prospective Students:

I am interested in coming to take a tour of of the Residences. Am I able to do that?

We are offering virtual tours! You can watch a Residence tour as well as a virtual tour of UNBC's campus.  If you would like to take an in-person tour, please contact Recruitment at

When can I apply to live in Residence?

Our Housing application for the September semester usually opens at the end of February, and the deadline to apply for the Winter semester is December 1st. Make sure you check our Housing Fees page regularly to stay up to date with Housing Deadlines.

Who is allowed to live in Residence and who gets priority?

Any UNBC student who is at least 17 years of age by the end of their first semester, and is registered in at least one (1) UNBC course is eligible to living in Residence. At this time, all First year, Aboriginal, and Former Youth in Care Students will be given priority, so long as they apply to Residence before their corresponding Housing application deadline.

What are Residence Assistants?

Residence Assistants (RAs) are student-staff who are responsible for supporting residents, community building, and the overall safety of the Residences. Each floor or "community" will have a minimum of two RAs. RAs are there to aid in conflict mediation, plan programs, and be a listening ear. In addition to seeing your RA on your floor, you will also see them "on-call" and doing rounds of our Residences in the evenings. Want to know more about exciting events in Residence? Talk to your RA to learn more!

Where can I find how many UNBC course credit hours I have? 

Log in to myUNBC Student Online Services, or contact the Office of the Registrar to find out the number of UNBC course credit hours you have. 

What is the refund policy for International students?

For more information on the housing refund policies for International Students, visit our Housing Fees page.

I am an Exchange / Semester Abroad student; do I fall under the "International student" category when I am applying for Housing? 

No, as an exchange student you do not fall under the "International student" stream. When you are applying for housing, apply under a regular stream student.

How much does it cost to live in Residence?

Please visit out Housing Fees page for a breakdown of fees. 

How do I pay my fees?

There are several ways you can make your payments. Visit our Housing Fees page for different payment options. 

Are my parents able to discuss things such as payments or my well-being with Housing Staff?

Housing & Residence Life adheres to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Due to this, we will not be discussing any personal information or financial information with anyone unless they have Third Party Authorization. For more information, visit the Third Party Authorization section.

What is "Third Party Authorization"?

"Third Party Authorization" is the consent a student gives to an individual to discuss personal information with UNBC Housing. Third party authorization may be granted to parents, guardians, family members etc. At the time of applying to Housing, students are able to indicate the individuals who have "Third Party Authorization". Without consent, Housing will not release the enrolment status in Housing, finances, or any other information regarding the student to the individual. If you would like your parents or guardians to discuss any of your affairs with Housing, you must authorize them to do so. *Please note that you must grant "Third Party Authorization" to an individual, even though you have already listed them are your "Emergency Contact". To make any changes to your "Third Party Authorization" after you have submitted your housing application, please email

I am an International student, do I need to bring my own bedding?

Bedding is not usually provided in the suites for our students. However, bedding packages are available upon request. If you are an International student who requires bedding, please email prior to your arrival in residence.

I am a graduate / mature student, and need a quieter space to live. What are my options? 

We recognize that the needs of graduate / mature students are different. At the time of applying to Housing, you have the option of selecting living on the "Mature Student" or "Academic Intensive" floor. Please note that while we try our best to accommodate the preferences of our applicants, it is not guaranteed that you will secure a space on your preferred floor. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at or 250-960-6430.

I am a CNC Nursing student and need a UNBC student ID number to apply for housing. How do I get mine?

If you are a CNC Nursing student and need your UNBC Student ID number, contact your admissions officer or email

Current Students

Where can I park?

If you have a parking pass, you must park in your assigned parking spot in the Residence parking lot. If you are needing a parking pass, you can download a "Parking Permit" Form and drop it off in the Housing Office, or email it to

I have a guest with a car, where do I get a parking pass? 

If your guest is only parking in our parking lots for a few hours, they can pay for parking at the parking meter located on the first floor Neyoh lobby. If your guest is parking overnight, they must fill out a Parking permit - Guest form and submit it to the Housing Office during office hours (Monday-Friday 8:30am-12:00pm, 1:00pm-4:30pm).

I am looking to change rooms / suites, how do I go about doing this?

If you are needing to change suites, please make sure you fill out a Suite Change form, and submit it to the Housing Office, or email it to Please note that a suite change is dependent on availability and approval by the Residence Life Coordinator.

I lost my student card. How do I get a new one? 

If you have lost your student card, you will need to go to the Cashier's Office for a new card. The price of a new card is $15.00. Once you have obtained your new card, go to the Housing Office during office hours to re-code your card. 

My student card isn't working on the Residence doors. What do I do?

If you are unable to get into Residence or your suite with your student card, you can go to the Housing Office during office hours to get your card re-coded. If your card is not working outside of our hours of operation, please call the RA on-call.

What if an individual contacts the Housing Office about me, or is trying to get in touch with me? 

Housing & Residence Life adheres to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Therefore, unless a certain individual has "Third Party Authorization" on your student file, we will not be releasing any information about you to anyone who contacts our office about you.  

I need to get in contact with someone from Housing. How do I do that?

You can reach one of our Housing staff at or at 250-960-6430. Our office hours are Monday-Friday 9:00am-12:00pm &1:00pm-4:00pm.

What are some things I can sign out from the Housing Office?

Vacuums and snow shovels. 

I received a notification about moving my car for snow removal, but I am currently away. What do I do? 

Please send an email to or call the office at 250-960-6430 as soon as possible to avoid the possibility of receiving a parking ticket, or having your vehicle towed.

What is the policy for cancelling a Residence contract?

I am having trouble logging into the StarRez Student Portal / Housing Application. Who do I contact? 

The most common issue students run into is remembering which email they registered with StarRez. If you applied for housing before your had your UNBC email, use your previous email. If you continue to have troubles accessing the StarRez Student Portal, or would like to switch your login email, please email or call 250-960-6430. 

What if I achieved sixty (60) UNBC course credits halfway through the year and want to be off the meal plan?

If you have achieved more than sixty (60) UNBC course credit hours, and would like to opt out of the Meal Plan, please email or call us at 250-960-6430.