UNBC now has the opportunity to have a Microsoft 365 tenant with Data Residency in Canada.
Effective immediately, all UNBC students and employees have access to Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise and OneDrive.
With Microsoft 365 Apps, you can install many of the Microsoft Office suite of programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, on up to five of your UNBC or personal devices. For instance, in addition to accessing Microsoft 365 Apps on your work computer, you can also install it on your phone, tablet, personal computer or laptop. Many of the applications have iOS and Android versions available.
OneDrive is a one terabyte (1 TB) cloud-based drive for document storage and has clients available for PC, Mac, iOS and Android devices. Apps for enterprise integrates with OneDrive for easy file storage and retrieval.
To access these services:
- Visit office.com
- Log in using your UNBC username with the format firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your password is the same one you use to log on to your UNBC account
Tips and Tricks for Microsoft 365
Having trouble with your email after migration to Exchange Online?
Please take the information you need from the instructions below:
For the phone, you will have to delete the current email account and re add it. Go under settings, find the mail app, click on Accounts, select your UNBC email account, and click delete account. Click on Add account, choose the Microsoft Exchange account, where it asks for username, please enter your username but add @unbc.ca to it. When it asks for domain, please put uni\ and when it asks for the server address please enter outlook.office365.com
- Go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > Select the appropiate account > Delete Account
- You can then re-add your account
- Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Add Account
- Select Exchange
- Enter your email address (Note: employees use your email@example.com)
- Enter your password
- Choose the services you want to sync with your iOS device, and press save.
For further information please see our knowledge base article on our support portal - Email on iOS and iPadOS
- If you would like to try a feature rich mail application on your iOS device, ITS recommends and supports the Outlook for iOS application.
- For the Outlook on your computer, it should open up, but it will come up saying it cannot find an account to log into. On that screen, you will want to click on the option to sign in using another account. The next page that comes up should have your UNBC account in the format of firstname.lastname@example.org Click on that account and use it. The rest should go smoothly.
If you access your email through the web, you will need to clear your browsing history. Go to outlook.office.com and sign in with your email@example.com and your regular password.
Microsoft 365 and the available Apps
- There are many Apps available through Microsoft 365 and office.com. If you are interested in using apps, that are not already part of the your daily work, please create an IT Support request. Each app request is reviewed for privacy and security concerns before usage can begin.
Need a new Team?
- To get a new Team, you must submit an IT Support request. In the support request please include the desired Team name, brief description of Team purpose, and whether or not the Team e-mail address should appear in the Address Book in Outlook.
- Membership in a Team is managed by the Team Owner(s), not ITS. Microsoft recommended best practice is to have at least two Owners on a Team.
MS Teams and UNBC Student Access - note to all employees
- Students are hidden from search in Teams for privacy reasons.
- For a student to be added to a Team, a Team Owner must go into Manage Team > Settings > Team Code, and generate a Team Code that can be provided to students, which they can then use to join the Team.
Can’t see your Teams?
- If you cannot see your Teams after signing in please ensure that you are logged in with the correct account.
- At times we sign in with our personal account which will not display UNBC Teams. This also applies to OneDrive and all your UNBC Microsoft 365 access.
Need some more training?
All UNBC employees have access to Linkedln Learning modules. Please visit the Human Resources site, under Professional Development, to access this service. ITS has added a Learning Pathway for Microsoft 365 including OneDrive information.
UNBC Atrium Team - employees are able to join this new team for tips and training on Teams at UNBC. Contact the firstname.lastname@example.org for access.
Please contact the IT Service Desk if any assistance is required:
IT Service Desk Contact Information:
- Location: Prince George Campus, Building 8-265
- Telephone: 250-960-5321
- Toll Free: 866-960-5321
- Email: email@example.com
- Web: unbc.ca/its