Dr. Nathan Andrews
On Leave (October 19, 2020 - April 6, 2021)
Assistant Professor, Department of Global & International Studies
PhD – University of Alberta
MA – Brock University
BA – University of Ghana
At the moment, I am working on two SSHRC-funded projects that examine 1) oil extraction and the livelihoods of coastal (small-scale fishing-dependent) communities in Ghana and Mexico and 2) the connections between the global land rush, food security, inequality and livelihoods in Ethiopia and Ghana. I am also working on a co-authored book manuscript on Oil and Development in Ghana: Beyond the Resource Curse (under contract with Routledge) while co-editing two forthcoming volumes on different dimensions of natural resource extraction and development and the ‘land grab’ in Africa to be published by the University of Toronto Press and Palgrave Macmillan, respectively. All these ongoing projects reinforce my interest in global governance/development, the international political economy/ecology of natural resource extraction, and sustainable livelihoods among others. I will be happy to work with students who have an interest in any of these broad areas of research
Graduate Courses Taught:
- INTS 620 - International Regimes
- INTS 621 - The Political Economy of Natural Resource Extraction
- INTS 700 - Research Methods
- Global governance and regimes
- International political economy of natural resource extraction
- Business ethics and corporate social responsibility
- Development agendas for Sub-Saharan African countries
- Community development issues (i.e. livelihoods, poverty, social justice)
- 2019. Corporate Social Responsibility and Canada’s Role in Africa’s Extractive Sectors (co-edited with J.A. Grant) Toronto: University of Toronto Press (in print).
- 2019. “‘People come and go but we don’t see anything’: How Might Social Research Contribute to Social Change?” (with S. Bawa) The Qualitative Report (accepted and forthcoming).
- 2019. “An Institutional Assessment of Five Years of the Public Interest Accountability Committee in Ghana’s Oil and Gas Sector,” (with E. Graham, R.E.V. Gyampo & I. Ackah) Journal of Contemporary African Studies (accepted and forthcoming).
- 2019. Gold Mining and the Discourses of Corporate Social Responsibility in Ghana. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2019. “Normative Spaces and the UN Global Compact for Transnational Corporations: The Norm Diffusion Paradox.” Journal of International Relations & Development Vol. 22(1): 77-106.
- 2018. “A Developmental Paradox? The ‘Dark Forces’ against Corporate Social Responsibility in Ghana’s Extractives Industry.” (with A. Osei-Kojo) Environment, Development and Sustainability, 1-21 (in press).
- 2018. “Land versus Livelihoods: Community Perspectives on Dispossession and Marginalization in Ghana’s Mining Sector.” Resources Policy Vol. 58: 240-249.
- 2018. “Bringing the State Back in Again? The Emerging Developmental State in Africa’s Energy Sector.” (with C. Nwapi) Energy Research & Social Science Vol. 41: 48-58.
- 2017. “A ‘New’ Developmental State in Africa? Evaluating Recent State Interventions vis-à-vis Resource Extraction in Kenya, Tanzania, and Rwanda.” (with C. Nwapi) McGill Journal of Sustainable Development Law Vol. 13(2): 223-267.
- 2017. “What/Who Is Still Missing in International Relations (IR) Scholarship? Situating Africa as an Agent in IR Theorizing.” (with I. Odoom), Third World Quarterly Vol.38(1): 42-60.
- 2016. “Linking or De-Linking Sustainable Mining Practices and Corporate Social Responsibility? Insights from Ghana.” (with M. Essah) Resources Policy Vol. 50: 75-85.
- 2016. “Energy Governance, Transnational Rules, and the Resource Curse: Exploring the Effectiveness of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI).” (with B. K. Sovacool, G. Walter, T. Van de Graaf) World Development Vol. 86: 179-192
- 2016. “A Swiss-Army Knife? A Critical Assessment of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) in Ghana.” Business and Society Review Vol. 121 (1): 59-83.
- 2016. “Challenges of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in Domestic Settings: An Exploration of Mining Regulation vis-à-vis CSR in Ghana.” Resources Policy Vol. 47: 9-17.
- 2015. Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) in Retrospect: Africa’s Development Beyond 2015. (co-edited with N. E. Khalema, and N. T. Assie-Lumumba) Springer.
- 2015. “Digging for Survival and/or Justice? The Drivers of Illegal Mining Activities in Western Ghana.” Africa Today Vol. 62 (2): 3-24.
- 2015. “Does Transparency Matter? Evaluating the Governance Impacts of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) in Azerbaijan and Liberia.” (with B. K. Sovacool) Resources Policy Vol. 45: 183-192.
- 2014. “A Post-Development Hoax? (Re)-Examining the Past, Present and Future of Development Studies.” (with S. Bawa) Third World Quarterly Vol. 35 (6): 922-938.
- 2013. “Community Expectations from Ghana’s New Oil Find: Conceptualizing Corporate Social Responsibility as a Grassroots-Oriented Process.” Africa Today Vol. 60 (1): 54-75.
- 2012. “Preventing the Oil ‘Resource Curse’ in Ghana: Lessons from Nigeria.” (with E. Okpanachi) World Futures Vol. 68 (6): 430-450.