April 6 was a momentous day for UNBC. That was the date the University announced that Members of the UNBC Faculty Association and the UNBC Board of Governors had ratified a new collective agreement that compensates Members fairly. This agreement sets the tone for an improved era of labour relations at UNBC; now we begin the work of implementing it. I write today to provide updates regarding two key elements:
- Schedule for retroactive pay
- Spring/Summer Sessional contracts
Schedule for retroactive pay
The new Faculty Association Collective Agreement, which is in effect from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2023, includes a new salary compensation structure. It is important to members of the broader UNBC community that we implement the new salary structure issue retroactive pay in a timely manner. The University has prepared a payment schedule for when retroactive payments can be expected that reflects the complexity of this salary adjustment:
- Full-time Members, which includes Lecturers, Assistant Professors, Associate Professors, Full Professors, Senior Lab Instructors (SLI), Librarian and Instructors.
Payment Date - June 18, 2021
- Active Members with summer sessional contracts will receive retroactive pay owing for past sessional contracts.
Payment Date - July 30, 2021
- Active Sessionals with active contracts for Fall 2021 will receive retroactive pay owing for past sessional contracts.*
Payment Date - September 10, 2021
- All non-active Sessionals without Fall 2021 sessional contracts will receive retroactive pay owing for past sessional contracts.
Payment Date - October 22, 2021
*Note: Sessional contracts must be received by August 20, 2021 for the data input and pay processing to ensure the retroactive pay is available September 10. For Sessionals active in the fall of 2021, contracts that arrive after August 20 will receive retroactive pay owing on the first pay cheque for Fall 2021 contract..
Spring/Summer sessional contracts
Do you have a sessional contract this Spring and/or Summer? If so, Human Resources is updating your sessional contracts to reflect the new Semester Contact Hour (SCH) rates in the July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2023 FA Collective Agreement.
- If you are teaching in May / June, your SCH rate will increase from $2,503.76 to $2,604.91 per SCH. A 3 SCH course is now $7,814.73.
- If you are teaching in July / August, your SCH rate will increase from $2,503.76 to $2,657.01 per SCH. A 3 SCH course will be $7,971.03.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you have questions about this schedule.
Associate Professor & Vice Provost - Faculty Relations