- Checking in at the Northern Sport Centre
- Fitness Areas
- Use of Fitness Areas
- Track Etiquette
- Youth and Stroller Access Policies
- Compliance with Policies
All members must check in at the Front Desk. It is there they will scan their personal FOB access key before each visit. The Northern Sport Centre uses fob access keys to check in and access specific fitness areas of the facility. This FOB is assigned to each member and may be re-used.
Do not share your FOB as this can result in your access to the facility being suspended.
Non-members must pay the drop-in fee before each visit to the facility. Non-members are not permitted to borrow member FOB access keys. Please check into the Front Desk upon arrival.
The Northern Sport Centre follows a four-step warning process for forgotten FOB access keys:
- First three visits without a FOB, members will receive a friendly reminder.
- On the fourth visit without a FOB, a $2.00 fee will be charged.
- Where no fee was applied, reminders are cleared from the member's account after four months.
- The three reminder dates will be cleared from the member's account after a new FOB access key is purchased.
Animals (dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, rodents etc...) are not permitted in the facility. Guide and Service dogs are permitted with the appropriate provincial registration documentation.
Below are a few key highlights of our membership parking policy. For more detail, please refer to your membership agreement.
- NSC parking permits are only valid with an active NSC membership.
- You must pay for parking until your membership is activated.
- NSC parking permits allow for a maximum three (3) hour limit per visit.
- We issue one permit per membership. It is your responsibility to transfer the permit between registered vehicles.
- Permit number must be visible on dash or hanging from rear view mirror to be valid.
- The NSC will not provide temporary parking permits for forgotten permits.
- NSC parking permits are only valid in the NSC parking lots, not at the UNBC campus. Our facility is multi-use and busier certain times of the year. From January to April, members with NSC parking passes may use UNBC Lot A for overflow. This is permitted Monday to Friday after 5:00pm.
There are four secured fitness areas (track, squash courts, Zone 3 and 4) that are only accessible with an authorized FOB access key. If your FOB is not scanned at the Front Desk upon facility entry, you will not have access to the secured fitness areas.
When you arrive at any of the four secured areas:
- Scan the FOB in front of the black box located at the door.
- Be patient - give it at least five seconds to read.
- Light will always flash green but door WILL NOT OPEN if your FOB was not scanned properly upon facility entry or there is an issue with your account.
- If the door does not unlock, please return to the Front Desk. Your visit may not have been activated at the Front Desk or there is an issue with your account that needs to be addressed.
General Facility Rules
- Outdoor shoes are not permitted in any of the fitness areas. Tracked in water and dirt damages the floors, cardio equipment and creates unnecessary mess throughout the facility.
- We are a family-friendly facility, please be respectful. Profanity is prohibited.
- No food permitted in the fitness zones including gum.
- Smoking or vaping anywhere indoors is prohibited.
- No liquids - except water in a closed container.
- Spitting is not permitted.
- Stopping on the Track to observe gym and fieldhouse activities below is prohibited.
- Spectator viewing is permitted on the main floor only through the viewing windows. Spectators should not be on the field of play at any time.
- Report any facility-related injury or damaged equipment to our staff.
- Children 12 and under must be within arm's reach of the parent/guardian at all times.
- We are not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen items.
- Studio 1
- Studio 2
- Zone 3 (Room 14-264) - Strength Room (secured)
- Zone 4 (Room 14-266) - Strength Room (secured)
Track Level (Secured)
- Zone 5 - Strength and Cardio Area
- Zone 6 - Spin Bikes, Individual and Group Fitness Area
- Zone 7 (under the clock) - Strength Area, Individual and Group Fitness Area
- Zone 8 - Cardio Area
Equipment is not permitted to be moved into other Zones. Staff have set up each Zone with sufficient weights, steps, balls and mats to ensure easy access.
Clean equipment before and after use.
Chalk use is not permitted in the facility.
Carry your access FOB with you at all times.
Please limit your use of scents such as perfume, lotion and cologne when exercising in the facility. Strong scents cause allergic reactions and are annoying (and unnecessary for activities in a fitness facility).
Closed-toe indoor shoes only.
No stakes in the fieldhouse.
Wearing appropriate athletic attire is required.
Dunking or hanging on the basketball rims or netting is prohibited.
Return all equipment items to the proper shelves and racks after use.
Please save your texting and messaging for after your workout. Resting between reps is one thing but do not read or type. It is disrespectful to those waiting.
When using the track, please use the following etiquette:
- Walking - use the inside lane
- Passing - use the middle lane
- Running - use the outside lane
Track Rotation Schedule
- Monday to Wednesday - counter-clockwise
- Thursday to Sunday - clockwise
Youth and Stroller Access with Parent Supervision
Youth and strollers are permitted in the following fitness areas with parent supervision. Youth and strollers must be within arm's reach of parents at all times.
|Strollers, 12 + Under||Ages 13, 14, 15|
|Gymnasium and Fields||Yes||Yes|
|Studio 1 + 2||No||Yes|
|Zones 3, 4, 5, 7, 8||No||Yes|
Youth Twelve (12) Years of Age or Younger (including strollers)
- Not permitted in any of the Strength or Cardio Areas, Studio 1 + 2, Zones 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 at any time. They cannot use any equipment eg. cardio machines, battle ropes, weights, balls etc... They can stretch/exercise on the Track in Zones 6 within arms reach of the Parent/Guardian.
- Are permitted in the Gymnasium, Field and Track Surface with a Parent/Guardian. The parent must be within arm's reach at all times.
- Not permitted in the Gymnasium, Field and Track Surface without a Parent/Guardian.
Youth 13 to 15 Years of Age
- Are permitted in the Strength Areas, Studios 1 + 2, and equipment in Zones 3 - 8. Parent/guardian must be within arm's reach at all times.
- Are permitted in the Gymnasium, Field, Track Surface, and Cardio equipment.
- Not permitted in the Strength Areas, Studios 1 + 2, Zone 3 - 7 or on equipment without a parent/guardian.
Youth Access without Parent Supervision
Youth ages 13 to 15 and 16 to 18 are permitted to access the fitness areas listed below. They do not require parent supervision. A completed and signed Youth Consent Form must be on file.
You can complete the Youth Consent Form at the Front Desk or download, print and complete the form available below. Return it to the Northern Sport Centre.
|Ages 13, 14, 15||Ages 16, 17, 18|
|Studios 1 + 2||Yes||Yes|
|Zone 8 - Cardio only||Yes||Yes|
|Zones 3 to 7||No||Yes|
Failure to comply with the above or any NSC policies will result in:
- 1st offence - warning
- 2nd offence - warning, possible suspension of membership
- 3rd offence - member may have their membership and/or facility access revoked without a refund