- Checking in
- Fitness areas
- Use of fitness areas
- Track etiquette
- Youth and stroller access policies
- Compliance with policies
Checking in at the Northern Sport Centre
All members must have a photo on file and check in at the Front Desk when accessing the facility.
The Northern Sport Centre uses FOB access keys to check in and access specific fitness areas of the facility.
Members and memberships are validated by scanning the personal FOB at the log-in computer with each visit. This FOB is assigned to each member and may be re-used for renewals. Memberships are non-transferable.
Do not share your FOB as this can result in your access to the facility being suspended or revoked.
Non-members must pay the drop-in fee before each visit to the facility. Non-members are not permitted to borrow member FOB access keys. Please check into the Front Desk upon arrival.
The Northern Sport Centre follows a five-step warning process for forgotten FOB access keys:
- First three visits without a FOB, members will receive a reminder.
- On the fourth visit without a FOB, prior to accessing the facility, $2.00 fee will be charged.
- On the fifth visit, the member must purchase a $10.00 replacement FOB access key (non-refundable).
- The four visit dates will be cleared from the member's account after a new FOB access key is purchased.
- Where no fee was applied, visit dates will be cleared from member's account after four months.
Animals (dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, rodents etc...) are not permitted in the facility. Guide and Service dogs are permitted with the appropriate provincial registration documentation.
Below are a few key highlights of our membership parking policy. For more detail, please refer to your membership agreement.
- NSC parking permits are only valid with an active NSC membership.
- You must pay for parking until your membership is activated. This will include processing, approval, and the temporary permit issued, and placed in your vehicle.
- NSC parking permits allow for a maximum three (3) hour limit per visit.
- We issue one permit per membership. It is your responsibility to transfer the permit between registered vehicles.
- Permit number must be visible on dash or hanging from rear view mirror to be valid.
- The NSC will not provide temporary parking permits for forgotten permits.
- If you have put your membership on a hold or just renewed it, check the expiry to ensure it is accurate. Members are responsible for citations if an expired or invalid parking permit is used.
- NSC parking permits are only valid in the NSC parking lots, not at the UNBC campus. Our facility is multi-use and busier certain times of the year. From January to April, members with NSC parking passes may use UNBC Lot A for overflow. This is permitted Monday to Friday after 5:00pm.
There are four secured fitness areas (track, squash courts, Zone 3 and 4) that are only accessible with an authorized FOB access key. If your FOB is not scanned at the Front Desk upon facility entry, you will not have access to the secured fitness areas.
When you arrive at any of the four secured areas:
- Scan the FOB in front of the black box located at the door.
- Be patient - give it at least five seconds to read.
- Light will always flash green but door WILL NOT OPEN if your FOB was not scanned properly upon facility entry or there is an issue with your account.
- If the door does not unlock, please return to the Front Desk. Your visit may not have been activated at the Front Desk or there is an issue with your account that needs to be addressed.
General Facility Rules
- Outdoor shoes are not permitted in any of the fitness areas. Tracked in water and dirt damages the floors, cardio equipment and creates unnecessary mess throughout the facility.
- We are a family-friendly facility, please be respectful. Profanity is prohibited.
- No food permitted in the fitness zones including gum.
- Smoking or vaping anywhere indoors is prohibited.
- Photography/videography is not permitted without permission from the Manager.
- Taking of photos in the change rooms and washrooms is not permitted.
- No liquids - except water in a closed container.
- Spitting is not permitted.
- Stopping on the Track to observe gym and fieldhouse activities below is prohibited.
- Spectator viewing is permitted on the main floor only through the viewing windows. Spectators should not be on the field of play at any time.
- Report any facility-related injury or damaged equipment to our staff.
- Children 12 and under must be within arm's reach of the parent/guardian at all times.
- We are not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen items.
- Studio 1
- Studio 2
- Zone 3 (Room 14-264) - Strength Room (secured)
- Zone 4 (Room 14-266) - Strength Room (secured)
Track Level (Secured)
- Zone 5 - Strength and Cardio Area
- Zone 6 - Spin Bikes, Individual and Group Fitness Area
- Zone 7 (under the clock) - Strength Area, Individual and Group Fitness Area
- Zone 8 - Cardio Area
Use of Fitness Areas
Equipment is not permitted to be moved into other Zones. Staff have set up each Zone with sufficient weights, steps, balls and mats to ensure easy access.
Clean equipment before and after use.
Please save your texting, video watching and internet scrolling for after your workout. Resting between reps on the strength equipment is one thing but checking social media, taking and making calls is not acceptable. Remove yourself from the equipment for others to use.
Chalk use is not permitted in the facility.
Carry your access FOB with you at all times.
Please limit your use of scents such as perfume, lotion and cologne when exercising in the facility. Strong scents cause allergic reactions and are annoying (and unnecessary for activities in a fitness facility).
Closed-toe indoor shoes only.
No stakes in the fieldhouse.
Wearing appropriate athletic attire is required.
Dunking or hanging on the basketball rims or netting is prohibited.
Return all equipment items to the proper shelves and racks after use.
When using the track, please use the following etiquette:
- Walking - use the inside lane
- Passing - use the middle lane
- Running - use the outside lane
Track Rotation Schedule
- Monday to Wednesday - counter-clockwise
- Thursday to Sunday - clockwise
Youth and Stroller Access Policies
Youth and Stroller Access with Parent Supervision
Youth and strollers are permitted in the following fitness areas with parent supervision. Youth and strollers must be within arm's reach of parents at all times.
|Strollers, 12 + Under||Ages 13, 14, 15|
|Gymnasium and Fields||Yes||Yes|
|Studio 1 + 2||No||Yes|
|Zones 3, 4, 5, 7, 8||No||Yes|
Youth Twelve (12) Years of Age or Younger (including strollers)
- Not permitted in any of the Strength or Cardio Areas, Studio 1 + 2, Zones 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 at any time. They cannot use any equipment eg. cardio machines, battle ropes, weights, balls etc... They can stretch/exercise on the Track in Zones 6 within arms reach of the Parent/Guardian.
- Are permitted in the Gymnasium, Field and Track Surface with a Parent/Guardian. The parent must be within arm's reach at all times.
- Not permitted in the Gymnasium, Field and Track Surface without a Parent/Guardian.
Youth 13 to 15 Years of Age
- Are permitted in the Strength Areas, Studios 1 + 2, and equipment in Zones 3 - 8. Parent/guardian must be within arm's reach at all times.
- Are permitted in the Gymnasium, Field, Track Surface, and Cardio equipment.
- Not permitted in the Strength Areas, Studios 1 + 2, Zone 3 - 7 or on equipment without a parent/guardian.
Youth Access without Parent Supervision
Youth ages 13 to 15 and 16 to 18 are permitted to access the fitness areas listed below. They do not require parent supervision. A completed and signed Youth Consent Form must be on file.
You can complete the Youth Consent Form at the Front Desk or download, print and complete the form available below. Return it to the Northern Sport Centre.
|Ages 13, 14, 15||Ages 16, 17, 18|
|Studios 1 + 2||Yes||Yes|
|Zone 8 - Cardio only||Yes||Yes|
|Zones 3 to 7||No||Yes|
Compliance with Policies
Failure to comply with the above or any NSC policies will result in:
- 1st offence - warning
- 2nd offence - warning, possible suspension of membership
- 3rd offence - member may have their membership and/or facility access revoked without a refund