A message from our Interim Vice-President, Research and Innovation, Dr. Kathy Lewis
I hope you are all keeping well during these very challenging times. Thank you for your diligence around various directives and for playing your part in helping us get through this crisis. Please see updates below for guidelines on research activities, and requirements for filing safety plans.
All research personnel should be instructed to monitor their own health and to follow public health guidelines should they start feeling unwell.
Expenses related to COVID-19 pandemic
We have been asked by government to track expenses that are directly related to the COVID-19 pandemic (example extra fuel cost for separate research vehicles), therefore when coding for research expenditures, please code these to COV19 in the PROG code.
Requirements for research involving human participants
While Province-wide restrictions imposed during the COVID-19 pandemic have been lifted, all researchers who have updated their protocols and received the necessary approvals to commence or reopen in-person research MUST also pay particular attention to the Public Health Officer's ongoing updates and recommendations. Researchers should still consider using virtual methods to conduct in-person research.
For further information, including REB Chair Bulletins, please refer to the Research Ethics Board website related to COVID-19 and Research Ethics.
Research-related COVID-19 updates
Research guidelines and requirements
- Requirements for undertaking research during COVID (updated July 2022)
- Safe Research Plan Guidelines for In-Person Research (Jan 2021)
- Safe Research Plan template (Jan 2021)
- Research-related travel
Research ethics updates
- Research Ethics Board - COVID-19 chair bulletins
- Research Ethics BC - research ethics during a public health emergency
- CIHR - COVID-19 updates
- NSERC program information in relation to COVID-19
- SSHRC - COVID-19 impacts on policies and programs