Deo, Dr. Balbinder
- Prince George
Dr. Balbinder Deo, worked in academic and industrial organizations for more than 30 years. He has the experience of working on various committees at UNBC, such as SCUB of the UNBC Senate, member of ASC’s School of Business, Treasurer FA and many other committees at Program and College level. He earned Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering from University of Manitoba, Canada, in addition to Ph.D. Degree in Business Management from PAU Ludhiana, Punjab, India. He joined School of Business, UNBC, Prince George campus in 2002. He has over 45 peer-reviewed publications, and also prepared and submitted 9 applied research reports to industrial organizations. Prior to joining UNBC, Dr. Deo worked at University of Saskatchewan, University of Manitoba, and at Punjab Agricultural University Ludhiana (India). In addition to his work experience in academic institutions, he also worked on various industry related research projects related to Inco Limited Thomson, NewHolland Canada Limited, Winnipeg, International Tractors limited, Bombay, Molins of India Limited, and Punjab Markfed and Allied Industries.
His research portfolio expanded over time and now it also include; Wood Based Bio-fuels to reduce GHGs in small communities, Development of criteria for evaluation of regions for production of biofuel feedstock, wood-based biofuels and its use in Northern Communities of BC, Developing formula and methodology to reduce shop-lifting in retail stores, Application of Operation Based Costing conceptual framework in services industries such as hospitals and healthcare industry, Business Process Management (BPM) and its application in non-profit organizations.
Research and Expertise
The main thrust of Dr. Deo’s research work with industrial organizations is to search the technical and managerial causes of low productivity in manufacturing as well as in service operations. He published over 45 papers (in peer-reviewed publications) and prepared and submitted 9 reports to industrial organizations. His hands-on experience with industrial organizations enabled him understand a wide variety of production systems, such as: assembly line; ore mining and processing; oil seeds processing; vegetative oil extraction and processing; job-shop type manufacturing systems, and project type work systems. His research interests can be categorized in areas such as; Operation Based Costing, and Activity Based Costing, Productivity measurement in operations, and of organizations, Audit of operations and systems in primary, secondary, and tertiary sector organizations in Government and Non-Government sector organizations, Simulation modeling and computer aided cost information system development, Green operations & Materials flow analysis (MFA), Evaluation criteria for primary biofuel feedstock and biofuels production operations, viability of wood based biofuels for heating needs of small communities in the cold northern regions, designing methodology to reduce shrinkage in retail outlet operations, and application of BPO related conceptual framework to develop process costing modelResearch Fields:
- Natural Resources
Modeling and Methodology to reduce Retail Shrink, Manufacturing and Service's Cost Analysis using Operations Based Costing concept, Carbon Accounting using Operations Based Carbon Emissions.Languages Spoken:
1. Deo, Balbinder, “Deo’s formula for optimal employee density to reduce theft-related shrink”, Model Assisted Statistics and Applications, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 311-319, 2019. DOI: 10.3233/MAS-190470. IOS Press.
2. Deo, Balbinder, “Optimizing Technology & Human Resource Mix to Reduce Retail Shrink” In peer reviewed proceedings of the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC), held at St. Catherine, Ontario, Canada, May 24 -27, 2019.
3. Bhullar, A.S., and Deo, Balbinder, “Transport Biofuels Blending Targets – A Case Study of India?” In peer reviewed proceedings of Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineering (IISE), Orlando, Florida, USA, May 19 -22, 2018. The direct link is - https://www.xcdsystem.com/iise/2018_proceedings/index.html
4. Deo, Balbinder, “Micro Costing – Costing Structure to Measure Cost in Hospitals?” In peer reviewed proceedings of Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineering (IISE), Orlando, Florida, USA, May 19 -22, 2018. The direct link is - https://www.xcdsystem.com/iise/2018_proceedings/index.html
5. Neufeld, Nicole and Deo, Balbinder, “Business Process Management (BPM) – Literature Review?” In peer reviewed proceedings of Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineering (IISE), Orlando, Florida, USA, May 19 -22, 2018. The direct link is - https://www.xcdsystem.com/iise/2018_proceedings/index.html
6. Thomas Cheney and Deo, Balbinder, “Constraints to Carbon Neutrality with Wood-Based District Heating Systems” Peer reviewed Proceedings of Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC), Edmonton, Alberta, June 04 -06, 2016.
7. Deo, Balbinder. “Conceptual Framework to Develop Retail Related Informatics to Minimize Shrink”, Peer reviewed Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Business Analytics and Intelligence (ICBAI) held at IIS (Bangalore), India, Dec 19 – Dec 21, 2016.
8. Elliot Layton and Deo, Balbinder, “Transportation of Oil: The Achilles heel of the Oil and Gas Sector in BC?”, Peer reviewed Proceedings of Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC), Muskoka, Ontario, May 10 -13, 2014
9. Sheen, Clayton., Ajit, Dayanandan., and Deo, Balbinder., “IMPACT OF WELLNESS FITNESS INITIATIVE (WFI) ON ABSENTEEISM”., Peer reviewed Proceedings of Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC), Calgary, Alberta, June 08-12, 2013
10. Deo, Balbinder, Han Donker, Michael Schulz, “Carbon Credits on Private Lands in British Columbia” Low Carbon Economy (LCE), Vol.3 No.4, December 2012
11. Bhullar, A.S. and Deo, Balbinder, “Issues in Transport Biofuels Production: A Review of the Global Experience”, Millennial Asia, 3:1, pp. 71-94 (2012)
12. Bhullar, A.S. and Deo, Balbinder, and Sachdeva, Jatinder, “Transport Biofuels Production, Trade-offs, and Promotion Policies in Canada –A Review”, Agricultural Economics Research Review, Vol. 25, January-June 2012, pp. 1-14, 2012.
13. Sra, Jaspreet, and Deo, Balbinder, “Developing a Process Costing Model – Using BPO and OBC Conceptual Framework”, Proceedings of Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC), June 08-12, 2012
14. Deo, Balbinder, and Sra, Jaspreet, “Developing a Generic Cost Based MIS Module for Process Oriented System’, published in Industrial Engineering Research Conference (IERC) peer reviewed proceedings, Orlando, Florida, May 19-22, 2012
15. Bhullar, A.S. and Deo, Balbinder, “Global Transport Biofuels Marketing and the Issue of Accounting the Biofuels’ Environmental Services during Trade”, Journal of Agricultural Development & Policy, Vol. 21 (2): pp. 1-7, 2011.
16. Schultz, Michael D., Deo, Balbinder, and Donker Han, “Production Potential of Pine Forest based Carbon Credits on Private Lands in Central B.C.”, published in the peer-reviewed annual conference proceedings of Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC), held at Montreal, Quebec, July 02 – 05, 2011