- Prince George
Darren KB earned his PhD (2015-2019) in Management from The Australian National University (Ranked #1 in Australia and #22 in the world (QS World University Rankings 2016-17), Australia, and his MBA (AACSB accredited, 2012-2014) from National Cheng Kung University. In addition to PhD in Management, he received his PhD (2004-2009) in Data Compression and VLSI Design from National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan. Prior to joining the UNBC, he was on the faculty of Korea University, South Korea, and Feng Chia University, Taiwan. He has also worked as a senior information and communication engineer at SPIC lab, Taiwan. Darren has also worked as a business data analyst and project manager at Technology companies in Taiwan.
Research and Expertise
Leadership, Organizational Behavior/HRM, Data Analytics, Video CompressionResearch Fields:
- Computer Science
Artificial Leadership, Leader Humility, Paradoxical Leadership, Inclusion, Disruptive Leadership, Presenteeism, Knowledge HidingLanguages Spoken:
1. Darren K Bharanitharan, Bahmannia, S., & Lowe K. B. (2020) “More equal than other equals: When is positive affect counterproductive?" in Proceedings of the 80th Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Vancouver, Canada.
2. Bahmannia, S., Darren K Bharanitharan, & Lowe K. B. (2019) “After all, I care: The Dual Effect of Leader Humility on Employees Co-operative Behaviors” in Proceedings of the 79th Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Boston, USA.
3. Darren K Bharanitharan, Somayeh, B, and Lowe K.B (2018) “ Yes, I may be bad because I was good: Humble leaders and unethical behaviors” in Proceedings of the 78th Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA.
4. Somayeh, B Darren K Bharanitharan, Steven G, and Lowe K.B, (2018) “Waterlilies: Does a Follower’s regional feeling negate the humble leader effect?” in Proceedings of the 78th Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA.
Multimedia Computing and VLSI System Design
1. C.Chang S.Chen, B.W.Chen, W.ji, Darren K Bharanitharan and. J.Wang “Fixed point computing element design for transcendental functions and primary operations in speech processing.” IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration Systems, pp.1-5, Oct.2015. (SCI) (Impact factor=1.4) (DOI:10.1109/TVLSI.2015.2477312)
2. A.C.Tsai, Darren K Bharanitharan J.F.Wang, and J.F.Yang, “Efficient search point reduction algorithm and its VLSI design for HDTV H.264/AVC variable block size motion estimation,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 981-988, Jul. 2012 (SCI) (Impact Factor= 1.6) (DOI: 10.1109/TCSVT.2011.2165592)
3. Darren K Bharanitharan, B.D.Liu, J.F.Yang and W.C. Tsai, “A low complexity detection of discrete cross differences for fast H.264/AVC intra prediction,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1250–1260, Nov. 2008. (SCI) (Impact Factor= 1.9) (DOI: 10.1109/TMM.2008.2004904)
4. C.H.Peng, P.C.Lin, S,Barma, J.F.Wang, H.Y. Peng, Darren K Bharanitharan, et al.,, “Low-power Enhanced SoC Design for SMO Learning Core with Tri-layer Bus and Butterfly-path Accelerator,” IET Computers & Digital Techniques , vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 93-100, Jan.2015.(SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.4) (DOI: 10.1049/iet-cdt.2013.0153
Multimedia Signal Processing
1. A.C.Tsai, Darren K Bharanitharan, J.F.Wang, and J.F.Yang, “Classified multi-filter Up-sampling algorithm for H.264/SVC Encoder,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 20, no.6. pp. 861-869, Jun.2010. (SCI ) ( Impact Factor= 1.6) (DOI: 10.1109/TCSVT.2010.2046052)
2. Darren K Bharanitharan, B.D.Liu, and J.F.Yang, “Classified region algorithm for fast inter-mode prediction in H.264/AVC Encoder,” EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, vol. 2010, Article ID 150809, NOV. 2010. (SCI) ( Impact Factor= 0.9) (DOI:10.1155/2010/150809)
3. A. Paul, C. Bo-wei, Darren K Bharanitharan, J.Jeong, and J.F Wang, “Video search and indexing with reinforcement agent for interactive multimedia services”, ACM Transaction on Embedded Computing Systems, , vol. 12, no. 2, Feb.2013 (SCI) ( Impact Factor= 1.3) (DOI:10.1145/2423636.2423643)
4. Darren K Bharanitharan, J.R. Ding, B.W.Chen and J.F.Wang, “Selective intra block size decision and fast intra mode decision algorithms for H.264/AVC Encoder”, IEICE Information and systems. vol.E95-D, no.11,pp.2720-2723, Nov. 2012 (SCI) ( Impact Factor= 0.3)
5. Darren K Bharanitharan, A.Paul, Y.C.Giang, and J.F.Wang, “Dynamic reconfigurable computing for Advanced Video Coding,” Journal of Internet Technology (JIT) vol. 11, no.6. pp. 867-873, NOV.2010. (SCI) ( Impact Factor= 0.4)
6. Darren K Bharanitharan , et al., “Two step regionally focused algorithm for H.264/AVC encoder” IETE Technical Review, April 2013 (Accepted for publication) (SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.7) (DOI: 10.4103/0256-4602.116717)
7. A. Paul, Darren K Bharanitharan*, and J.F.Wang, “Region similarity based edge detection for motion estimation in H.264/AVC,” IEICE Electronic Express, vol. 7, no. 2, pp.47-52, Jan. 2010 (SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.5)
8. H.C. Tsai, B.W.Chen, Darren K Bharanitharan, et al., “User-centric incremental learning model od dynamic personal identification for mobile devices”, SPRINGER Multimedia Systems” pp. 1-10, Jul. 2013 (SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.6) (DOI: 10.1007/s00530-013-0328-y)
9. A. Paul, Darren K Bharanitharan, and J.J.Wu, “Algorithm and architecture for adaptive motion estimation”, IETE Technical Review, vol.30, no. 1. pp. 24-30, Apr.2013.(SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.7) (DOI:10.4103/0256-4602.107336)
1. M.Qian, Darren K Bharanitharan, and Chin.Chen Chang, “Edge directed automatic control points selection algorithm for image morphing”, IETE Technical Review, (SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.7) (DOI: 10.4103/0256-4602.116723)
2. Darren K Bharanitharan and J. R. Ding, “Bed status detection system for elder care center,” Journal of the Information, Communication, and Consumer Electronics Technologies (ICL Technology Journal) , vol. 129, no. 9, pp. 69-75, Sept. 2009 (EI).
1.Darren K Bharanitharan, K.M.lee, J.R. Ding, and T.W. Hou, “Dependable management system for ubiquitous camera array service in elder-care center”, ACM Transaction on Embedded Computing Systems, vol. 12, no. 2, Feb.2013 (SCI) ( Impact Factor= 1.3) (DOI:10.1145/2423636.2423647)
2. A. Paul, S.Ro, and Darren K Bharanitharan “Interactive Scheduling for Mobile Multimedia Service in M2M Environment, ” SPRINGER Multimedia Tools and Applications (MTAP), pp.1-12, May.2013 (SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.9) (DOI: 10.1007/s11042-013-1490-0)
1. Feng Jiang, Darren K Bharanitharan, et al “ Game Theory based non reference perceptual quality assessment for stereoscopic images” SPRINGER Journal of Super Computing, vol. 71, no.9, pp.3337-3352, Sept. 2015. (SCI) (Impact Factor = 0.9) (DOI: 10.1007/s11227-015-1412-1)
1. Tu H.N, Darren K Bharanitharan, and Chin Chen Chang, “ Quadri-Directional Searching Algorithm for Secret Image Sharing Using Meaningful Shadows” Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, vol. 28, no.2, pp.105-112, Apr. 2015 (SCI) (Impact Factor= 1.4) (DOI: 10.1016/j.jvcir.2015.01.011)
2. M.Q.Qian, Darren K Bharanitharan, and Chin Chen Chang, “A Proxy User Authentication Protocol Using Image Morphing", The Computer Journal (Oxford) , vol. 7, no.58, pp.1573-1584, Sept. 2014(SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.9) (DOI: 10.1093/comjnl/bxu094)
3. C.H.Lin, Darren K Bharanitharan, and Chin Chen Chang, “Comments and Proofs to Published Paper- Novel Reversible Robust Watermarking Algorithm Based on a Chaotic System”, International Journal of Network Security, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 273-276, Jul.2014 (EI)
4. F. Li, Darren K Bharanitharan, et al., “Bi-stretch reversible data hiding algorithm for absolute moment block truncation coding compressed images.” SPRINGER Multimedia Tools and Applications, pp. 1-19, Sept. 2015 (Impact factor: 1.3) (DOI:10.1007/s11042-015-2924-7)
5. M.Q.Qian, Darren K Bharanitharan, and Chin Chen Chang, “Multi-Round Dynamic Swap Optimization Algorithm for Table Based Information Hiding", IET Image processing,vol.9, no.12, pp. 1073-1082, Dec. 2015 (DOI:10.1049/iet-ipr.2015.0065 )