Public accountability and transparency
The University of Northern British Columbia is committed to the federal government’s policies on non-discrimination and employment equity for the four designated groups (women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and Indigenous peoples) as well as the LGBTQ2+ communities and individuals with intersectional identities, and has endorsed the Tri-council Dimensions: Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Canada Charter and the Universities Canada Inclusive Excellence Principles.
UNBC CRC Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan
The UNBC Canada Research Chairs (CRC) Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Action Plan has been developed by Office of Research and Innovation and Human Resources staff along with members of senior administration, has been endorsed by the President and is a work in progress with several processes currently under review. As such, as part of our community consultation process, please send any feedback on the UNBC CRC EDI Action Plan via email@example.com. This feedback will be reviewed by the CRC EDI Working Group and taken into consideration for plan modification.
Action Plan summary
The following CRCP public accountability and transparency requirements can be found in the UNBC CRC Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan:
- Strategy to raise awareness within the institution of its commitments to and the benefits of equity, diversity and inclusion (page 3).
- Governance plan for the approval of the CRC EDI Action Plan (page 3).
- Collection of equity data and current distribution of Chairs (page 19).
- UNBC's equity targets and gaps for each of the four designated groups (page 20).
- Description of how EDI concerns received by the institution are monitored and addressed, and reported to senior management (page 21).
CRC Unconscious Bias Training Module
This interactive module is designed to promote an understanding of unconscious bias and how it can affect the peer review process. It will also provide strategies for mitigating bias during the review process.
- 2019 Addendum to the 2006 Canadian Human Rights Settlement Agreement
- Program Statistics
- Requirements for recruiting and nominating Canada Research Chairs
- Radical Inclusion: Equity and Diversity Among Female Faculty at Simon Fraser University
- NSERC Guide for Applicants: Considering equity, diversity and inclusion in your application
- NFRF: Best Practices in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Research
- The Equity Myth by Frances Henry, Enakshi Dua, Carl E. James, Audrey Kobayashi, Peter Li, Howard Ramos, and Malinda S. Smith
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion - Minded Practices in Virtual Learning Communities
- Canada Research Chairs Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: A Best Practices Guide for Recruitment, Hiring and Retention
- How to mobilize and sustain EDI change in the Academy by Arig al Shaibah, PhD
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion: A Dialogue with Human Rights and Decolonization (video)
Further information regarding CRCP's Equity, Diversity and Inclusion requirements and practices can be found on the CRC website.
For questions or concerns regarding Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Public Accountability and Transparency at UNBC please contact:
Dr. Geoff Payne, Interim President and Chancellor