19 Timberwolves earn Academic All-Canadian Distinction for 2016-2017
The University of Northern British Columbia recognized 19 student athletes as Academic All-Canadians for their work in the classroom and in their respective sport in the 2016-2017 year.
The annual U Sports Academic All-Canadian ceremony honours students who have achieved a Grade Point Average of 3.67 (an A- letter grade) or higher.
The 19 Timberwolves who achieved Academic All-Canadian status is the most in UNBC history, nearly doubling the 2015-2016 total of 11.
“We are so proud of these student-athletes who excel on and off the court and pitch,” said Loralyn Murdoch, UNBC Director of Athletics/Recreation. “They have all worked extremely hard to reach Academic All-Canadian status, and it is a goal only achievable by being rostered on a varsity team at the highest level of Canadian university athletics.”
With a collective Grade Point Average of 3.30, the Women’s soccer team won the annual Office of the Provost Academic Achievement Award, given to the Timberwolves varsity team with the highest GPA during the season. This is the third year in a row that the women’s soccer team has won this award.
Murdoch points to support from UNBC as a major factor in the tremendous success of the Timberwolves athletes in the classroom setting.
“The UNBC Athletics department appreciates the support of the Office of Finance and Business Operations and the Vice President Academic and Provost office for providing the funding and support for our peer tutor leaders for each varsity team,” she said “Our peer tutor leaders have been critical in the bar being continually raised for the academic success of all our Timberwolves athletes.
The full list of Academic All-Canadians is as follows:
• Emily Aase, Women’s Basketball, Social Work
• Ashley Anderson, Women’s Soccer, Biomedical Studies
• Francesco Bartolillo, Men’s Soccer, Business Administration
• Maddy Doucette, Women’s Soccer, Biomedical Studies
• Cheona Edzerza, Men’s Soccer, Business Administration
• Jessica Erickson, Women’s Soccer, Accounting
• Tofa Fakunle, Men’s Soccer, Psychology
• Kaitlin Godsoe, Women’s Soccer, General Studies
• Saje Gosal, Men’s Basketball, Political Science
• Darin Kamsteeg, Men’s Soccer, History
• Madison Landry, Women’s Basketball, Biomedical Studies
• Mara McCleary, Women’s Soccer, Physics/Chemistry
• Preety Nijjar, Women’s Basketball, Biomedical Studies
• Jesse Rake, Men’s Soccer, Biochemistry
• Fiona Raymond, Women’s Soccer, Biology
• Elliot Rowe, Men’s Basketball, English/Political Science
• Jonah Smith, Men’s Soccer, Biomedical Studies
• Liam Stewart, Men’s Soccer, Accounting
• Sydney Wilson, Women’s Soccer, Nursing