Generative AI is a field of AI that uses machine learning models to create/generate novel outputs based on user prompts/input data. AI tools are an exciting additional resource that can make some tasks easier or quicker to complete.
Principles for deployment of AI tools
The purpose of these principles is to inform the framework for any deployment of generative AI tools at UNBC. Faculty or staff considering integrating a generative AI tool into their information management workflow must contact UNBC’s Access, Privacy and Records Management Office at email@example.com.
- Understand and measure the impact of AI
- Complete a Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) prior to deploying the tool.
- Provide training so that users can understand the tool.
- Be responsible for UNBC records and data
- Do not enter personal or sensitive information into generative AI tools.
- Use appropriate records management practices with generated data.
- Be transparent about uses
- Describe the needs/use case and benefits of the tool.
- Understand the secondary uses of data entered into the tool.
- Critically engage with generated data
- Be aware of bias and ethical challenges of generative AI.
- Fact-check any generated "evidence."