Frequently Asked Questions

NCBNP SealApplication FAQs


How do I apply?

  • Admissions and the first 2 years of the program are completed at UNBC’s collaborative colleges:  the College of New Caledonia in Prince George & Quesnel, and Coast Mountain College in Terrace.
  • Students must apply through the appropriate campus.

Where can I apply?

What do I need to submit with my application?

  • Students must submit ALL secondary school and post-secondary institution transcripts, whether they seem relevant or not. Mature and Special Entry applicants will also need to submit a detailed resume. If you attended an out-of-province institution, detailed course syllabi should also be submitted for transfer assessment.
  • Once admitted, students will need to submit Criminal Records Checks, CPR-C, and Immunization information.

Do you have an LPN Access program?

Can I apply to more than 1 campus?

  • Yes. Please contact the colleges for more information.

If I am admitted to a regional campus, where do I go for Year 3?

  • Students who are admitted to a regional campus will attend the UNBC campus in that region, i.e. a Terrace or Quesnel student will not attend UNBC in Prince George

If I get a seat in Quesnel or Terrace, can I transfer to Prince George after Year 1 or Year 2?

  • Under extenuating circumstances, a student may be allowed to transfer to Prince George or another campus. Students must apply in writing to the campus they are currently attending. Contact an advisor for further information.

Where can I upgrade my Prerequisites for admission?

  • Students may use approved Adult Basic Education (ABE) courses that are provincial equivalents, or Continuing Education courses through their local School District (check under School District No **, Centre for Learning Alternatives, Continuing Ed).
  • Students may be able to use certain college or University courses to cover prerequisites to the program if the content is appropriate and grades are higher than the high school grades. 

What do I do if I have completed some of the required courses ahead of time?

  • Students must submit ALL post-secondary transcripts with their application. Courses that appear in the BC Transfer Guide will automatically be transferred if they meet the minimum grade qualification and are within the time limit required. If the course does not appear in the BC Transfer Guide, students should submit detailed course syllabi with their application in order to have the course assessed.

General FAQs

How do I access my online UNBC account and other information?

Calendar – PDF & online links

Semester dates – PDF & online links


Year 3 credit hours (not including outstanding electives)

  • 17 credit hours in one semester (depends on cohort)
  • 14 credit hours in other semester
  • 5 credit hours NURS 329-1 and NURS 330-4 (April-July)
  • *If students have a student loan, contact Financial Aid regarding the 5 credit Summer course

Year 4 credit hours

  • 13 credit hours in one semester (depends on cohort)
  • 11 credit hours in other semester

Student numbers and Email addresses

  • Students will receive a student number and email address for both the College and UNBC upon admission. Students will be sent a "Student Online Services Activation" email from the UNBC IT department in late September of Year 1 to activate their accounts.

Postal mail addresses & phone numbers

  • It is the student’s responsibility to make sure all contact information is updated with the UNBC Office of the Registrar - including Emergency Contacts.

Timelines for Electives

  • Students are encouraged to complete all electives before the end of Year 3, since clinical/practica will create time conflicts unless the course is done online. However, don’t panic if you carry an elective into Year 4.
  • If you want to take an elective off-campus/correspondence, ensure it is completed before February of your graduating year (marking & transcript delays from other institutions).

Precluded credit (Duplicate Coursework) – e.g. HHSC, SOCW, FNST

  • If students take courses in other programs (e.g. Health Sciences) prior to applying, or while in the program (e.g. SOCW), there can be an issue with duplicate coursework (precluded credit; check the UNBC calendar course descriptions). Both courses cannot be used towards the degree (i.e. the HHSC cannot be used as an elective if the student decides to take the NURS course). Check with a Nursing Program Advisor for guidance.

Taking Courses at other Institutions - Letter of Permission (LOPs)

  • While attending CNC or CMTN, students must follow the colleges’ policies for taking Year 1 and Year 2 course equivalents off-campus (note: 200 level at another institution does not necessarily mean it will receive 200 level credit at UNBC).
  • ALL Year 3 and Year 4 course equivalents taken at other institutions (except those taken at CNC & CMTN), must get an LOP from the UNBC School of Nursing, regardless of where the student is currently taking courses.
  • Once in attendance at UNBC, LOPs are required for all courses taken off campus, including the collaborative colleges, to guarantee proper credit for the course is received.
  • Students must be in good standing in order to get an LOP.

Forms – LOPs, Registration Approval, Confirmation of Enrollment

Repeating courses at another institution

  • Some course equivalents are available at other institutions. However, students must receive permission from a Nursing Advisor in order to repeat a course elsewhere. Students must be aware that transfer courses do not affect the UNBC CGPA for graduation, and the original UNBC grade will still calculate in the GPA on the UNBC transcript. The ‘2 attempts’ policy is also in effect.

Leave of Absence (LOA)

  • Students are eligible for a LOA for up to a year with a valid reason and must apply in writing.
  • LOAs affect priority for registration.
  • Students cannot be on a Letter of Permission & a Leave of Absence at the same time.
  •  If students do not register for 3 semesters and do not get a LOA or complete a course on LOP (not just apply for one), they will have to re-apply to the program and follow the new calendar regulations.
  • Contact an Advisor to determine if an LOA or part-time studies will be a better option.

Grade Scale Differences between Institutions

  • CNC & CMTN’s minimum C grade is 60%. UNBC minimum C is 63%.
  • If taking courses at another institution, students must be aware of that institution’s minimum C (sometimes higher), since UNBC only accepts the letter grade on the official transcript.

Online Degree Audits

  • Online degree audits will not display the correct information until students apply for graduation and receive an initial OFFICIAL audit. The NURS elective (APPR elective - 200 level approved by program) must be manually entered, and sometimes other info must be manually changed as well. Check with the Nursing Program Advisor for any questions and to complete an unofficial audit.

Year 3 & Year 4 FAQs

Registration for Year 3

  • The registration process at UNBC is different than the colleges.
  • NURS 220 must be completed successfully to enter Year 3.
  • Registration for Year 3 usually does not happen until late June or early July depending on when the CNC and CMTN transcripts are received and loaded in the system in order to be able to register online.
  • Registration for Year 4 will open in late May/early June.
  • Students will receive detailed instructions by e-mail from the Nursing Program Advisor.
  • Students will be assigned to a cohort and clinical section and will be given the CRNs for the sections to register in. Students must have permission to make any changes or they will be withdrawn from any course they weren’t assigned.
  • Students must register for both semesters at the same time in the summer. $100 deposit is required for each semester (this goes towards tuition. Non-refundable if all courses are dropped).
  • Tuition is due on the first day of classes in September and January.
  • Registration for NURS 329 & NURS 330 will occur in February, with tuition due the first day of the OSCE.

Transcripts – entering Year 3

  • Transcripts with NURS 220 will be the final transcript that CNC or CMTN will send to UNBC
  • If CNC, CMTN, or courses from other institutions are completed after NURS 220 is finished, it is the student’s responsibility to submit an Official transcript to the UNBC Office of the Registrar.

What is a CRN?

  • A CRN is a Course Reference Number. This is a unique code to distinguish each section of a course.

How can I access the General Schedule?


  • Students must re-certify CPR-C annually regardless of expiry date on the card – submit a copy to the Clinical Placement Coordinator by orientation in September of Year 3. Online courses are not acceptable.
  • Students must carry the card at all times, and may be asked to leave the clinical placement if it can’t be produced for the instructor or if it is no longer valid.
  • If students become out-of-sequence, it is their responsibility to ensure their CPR-C is updated.

Criminal Record Checks (CRCs)

  • Solicitor General CRCs need to be updated again after completion of NURS 220 for Year 3 clinical placements.
  • CRCs must be received by the UNBC Office of the Registrar prior to start of clinical or the student will not be allowed to participate. Detailed instructions will be sent out by the Nursing Program Advisor in Arpil or May as to how to submit this documentation.


  • All orientations are MANDATORY. For Prince George, there will be one in mid-March for incoming Year 3 and Year 4 students, as well as the first week of September. Regional orientations will be announced, but will also be twice a year.
  • Clinical orientations are also mandatory.

Lab Hours (NURS 328)

  • 36 hours of structured, scheduled nursing laboratory practice must be successfully completed no more than 8 months before the student undertakes NURS 329 (OSCE).  Lab hours must be approved by a lab instructor.

NUGSS Health & Dental plan

NURS 329 & 330 Spring/Summer OSCE and Clinical Dates

  • NURS 329 and NURS 330 do not follow the regular May semester schedule dates listed in the calendar.
  • OSCEs will likely start after final exams in April
  • End date could be mid to late July.
  • Do not make travel plans without checking with someone as it is mandatory to be available during this time.

Application for Graduation

  • Students must submit an Undergraduate Application for Graduation form by October 31 in their final year of study.
  • Students are encouraged to submit the form in July (completing Year 3) so an initial degree audit may be completed before September to ensure everything is in place.