Environmental and Sustainability Studies
Sustainability studies have emerged as one of the most in-demand undergraduate and post-graduate degree programs in an era of unprecedented environmental and social change. Here at UNBC we offer students the opportunity to learn about important environmental and sustainability challenges, and develop innovative and impactful solutions as engaged environmental citizens. We offer three unique degree options that build different sets of expertise, marketable skills, and opportunities for leadership in a wide variety of professional fields.
If you are passionate about building a sustainable future, UNBC is a campus community that will help you get there. Students, staff, and faculty are committed to teaching and research that will change the way we think about and interact with our environment, tackling issues such as climate change, food security, energy transitions, Indigenous governance, community-based resource management, and environmental justice. Student groups such as Students for a Green University and PGPIRG are continually engaged in hands-on social and environmental projects. Through a variety of campus organizations, students play a key role in shaping UNBC as Canada’s Green University. With a vibrant, environmentally-conscious campus community, students will learn sustainability skills and expertise that will create positive change for the communities and people they work with beyond graduation, and throughout their professional lives.
Why Environmental Studies at UNBC?
In Prince George the forests, mountains, and rivers are at your doorstep. Minutes from any UNBC classroom is a 30km+ network of multi-use trails through evergreen and mixed wood forests, used by hikers, trail runners, mountain bikers, rock climbers, snowshoers, and cross-country skiers. The Nechako and Fraser Rivers converge in our city and wildlife wander the campus. We are nestled between the Rocky and Coastal Mountains, with easy access to backcountry adventures.
If you love being active in the outdoors, this is the place to live, study, and explore.
The experience you will gain through our Environmental and Sustainability Studies degrees will be unique, and have many advantages:
- We are a small, student-oriented program
- You will get to know your professors and will not be lost in a crowd
- You will learn from professors who love their fields of expertise, are nationally and internationally recognized researchers, and who bring their enthusiasm into the classroom
- Benefit from opportunities like our Undergraduate Research Awards and Experiential Learning Awards that allow you to work closely with faculty on research projects
- We stress experiential learning our courses; you will play an active role in your education, gain hands-on experience, and work directly with local community and businesses partners
We are excited to welcome you to Environmental and Sustainability Studies at UNBC. We have great faculty, great classes, in a great environment. We hope to see you soon.