- Prince George
Dr. Winwood joined the Northern Medical Program (NMP) from the United Kingdom (UK) in 2008 to continue his academic career and work as an internist and gastroenterologist at the University Hospital of Northern British Columbia (UHNBC). He graduated from the London Hospital Medical College in 1985 and completed postgraduate specialist training in internal medicine and gastroenterology at the University of Southampton, where he subsequently undertook research in the pathogenesis of cirrhosis, completed a doctorate and became a lecturer. He was a Medical Research Council travelling fellow at the Liver Center Laboratory, University of California San Francisco (UCSF) in 1994-95. From 1996 to 2008, he worked at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital in the UK where he led the department of gastroenterology and medical education until moving to B.C. He was appointed to his current position as the leader of the NMP in 2012. He has a passion for medical education and is a strong advocate for rural health.
- Winwood PJ, Schuppan D, Iredale JP, Kawser A, Docherty AJP, Arthur MJP. Kupffer cell-derived 95 kD type IV collagenase/gelatinase B: Characterization and expression in cultured cells. Hepatology 1995; 22: 304-315.
- Benyon RC, Iredale JP, Goddard S, Winwood PJ, Arthur MJP. Expression of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-1 and –2 is increased in fibrotic human liver. Gastroenterology 1996; 110: 821-831.
- Ainley EJ, Winwood PJ and Begley JP. Measurement of serum electrolytes and phosphate after sodium phosphate colonoscopy bowel preparation. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 2005; 50:1319-1323.
- Maurice SB, Bell T, Daniels T, Fetterly CR, Nelson DR, Winwood PJ, Bourque WT, Harris RL. Tibial bone versican content decreases with zoledronate treatment in adult mice. Accepted with corrections. Osteoporosis International 2014; 25(7). DOI:10.1007/s00198-014-2700-y
- Bukong TN, Maurice SB, Winwood PJ. Versican: A novel modulator of hepatic fibrosis. Lab Invest 2016; 96: 361-374. DOI:10.1038/labinvest.2015.152 (AOP)