Research at UNBC aims to have positive and meaningful impacts on communities locally, nationally, and globally. To do this we must embrace diversity and recognize that all perspectives add value and breadth to research endeavours.
As an institution, UNBC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. As part of its commitment to non-discrimination and employment equity, UNBC has endorsed the Tri-Agency Dimensions: Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Canada Charter and the Universities Canada Inclusive Excellence Principles. UNBC has also signed on to the Scarborough Charter on Anti-Black Racism and Black Inclusion in Canadian Higher Education.
What is Equity, Diversity and Inclusion?
Equity is the removal of systemic barriers and biases enabling all individuals to have equal access to and to benefit from the program.
Diversity is differences in race, colour, place of origin, religion, immigrant and newcomer status, ethnic origin, ability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and age.
Inclusion is the practice of ensuring that all individuals are valued and respected for their contributions and are equally supported.
What follows is a list of best practices and resources to aid researchers with the development of their research grant applications; specifically with respect to addressing equity, diversity and inclusion in the research team, the research environment, and research design.
Guides for Research Grant Applicants
- CIHR: EDI in the Research System
- CIHR: Integrating Sex & Gender in Health Research
- Gender-based Analysis Plus Course
- NFRF: Best Practices in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Research
- NSERC Guide for Applicants: Considering equity, diversity and inclusion in your application
- SSHRC: EDI in the Research Enterprise
- SSHRC: Guide to Addressing EDI Considerations in Partnership Grant Applications
Additional EDI Resources
- EDI in Research Environments (video) Note: this presentation given by Dr. Nicole Kaniki as part of UNBC's Research Week 2022 requires UNBC login credentials to view.
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion: A Dialogue with Human Rights and Decolonization (video)
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion - Minded Practices in Virtual Learning Communities
- How to mobilize and sustain EDI change in the Academy
- Inclusive Language in Media
- Radical Inclusion: Equity and Diversity Among Female Faculty at Simon Fraser University
- Scientific Workforce Diversity Toolkit
- Sex and Gender Analysis Improves Science and Engineering
- Strategies for Working with People who have Disabilities
- Two-Eyed Seeing
- BCcampus Research Speaker Series: Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Research (Webinar)
- Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Science: A Practical Guide to Writing about Equity Diversity and Inclusion in Grant Proposals
For information about UNBC's CRC EDI Action Plan, please visit UNBC's CRC Public Accountability and Transparency webpage.
For information about UNBC's institutional commitment to EDI, please visit the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion webpage.