The Northern Sport Centre membership is great value for you and your family. We offer year-round access to recreation and fitness activities.
Membership Sign Up
To sign up for a Membership, please bring the following:
- A valid piece of identification eg. Drivers License
- Payment for your $10.00 FOB fee (non-refundable)
- License plate number for your Parking Permit
- Pre-Authorized monthly memberships: void cheque, or Pre-Authorized Debit form from your bank and payment for first month’s dues (pro-rated).
- Spouse rate: To qualify for this rate proof of same address as the *Primary Member is required. Pre-Authorized debit memberships, monthly payments must be made out of the same account as the *Primary Member.
- Student rate: current proof of class registration; student ID is not accepted as proof.
- Corporate rate: current proof of employment
- Alumni rate: we will confirm with the UNBC Alumni office
- Disability rate
Let us know if your contact information such as phone and email changes. We contact our members via e-newsletter three times a year and on other urgent facility issues as required. A personal email address is preferred as is more permanent than your work email.
If you aren't sure if we have your current info, double check with our staff at the Front Desk.
- Complimentary three hour parking permit (31 Day Pass, Ten Visit Pass, daily admission exempt)
- Suspend (hold) your membership up to three months each year (can be non-consecutive)
- Free Wi-Fi (sign up for log in and password at the front desk)
- No annual membership contract
- No cancellation fee after three months
- Group Fitness Drop-in classes are included in your membership
- Rec North Programs including drop-in pickleball, basketball, and volleyball are included in your membership
- Registered programs discounted rates
- Discounted prices for Personal Training
- 280 metre 3-lane Indoor track with a 5-lane 80 metre sprint section
- Four fitness zones located around the track. Extensive selection of cardio machines such as spin bikes and Jacob's Ladder.
- Resistance training areas. Choose from free weights, plate loaded machines, selectorize (pin & stack), cable machines, Olympic lifting platforms
- One Fieldhouse with two fields (subject to availability)
- Three Gymnasiums (subject to availability)
- Squash courts x 2 (advance booking required)
- Two fitness studios
Note: For Members 18 years old and younger, conditions apply. Please refer to our Youth Access Policy about facility access. For access to fitness classes please check with the Fitness Instructor.
One of the perks of being a full-time UNBC student is a membership to the Northern Sport Centre via the Fitness and Recreation fee included in your annual tuition. This is a mandatory student fee and is non-refundable.
Come to the NSC to activate your membership. Allow yourself extra time as there are waivers to complete, facility rules and regulations to review and a $10.00 non-refundable access FOB to purchase.
Parking is not included with your student membership. Obtain a campus permit or pay at the indoor pay station.
Student membership dates for the 2021/2022 academic year:
2021 Fall semester: September 8 - December 31, 2021
2022 Winter semester: January 4 - April 30, 2022
To receive the spouse rate, the spouse must live in the same household as the primary membership holder. Documentation may be requested. This membership must be of the same duration (eg. one month, continual). For continual memberships, monthly payments must be made out of the same bank account as the primary member.
If the legal guardian of the child is an active, annual NSC member, apply the following. Dependent(s) must live in the same household at time of registration:
All dependents, twelve and younger are free.
First dependent up to eighteen years of age is free.
All additional dependents 13 - 18 years of age are 50% off the Teen/Youth rate.
Dependents who qualify for a free membership must sign up for the membership. $10.00 FOB Access Key fee (non-refundable) applies.
Children twelve and younger who do not wish to sign up for a membership still have daily use access. A paid parent/guardian must be in attendance. They must sign the daily waiver form each visit. The child is not eligible for member service benefits.
The Northern Sport Centre is proud to be a Rick Hansen Foundation certified accessible facility. We are pleased to offer a special disability membership rate for individuals who qualify.
To qualify for the Disability membership rate, customers will need to do two things:
- Commit to paying a minimum of three months;
- Provide documentation from one of the two disability tax credits listed below. These documents support approved disability claims as defined and approved by the Government of Canada:
You can also call 1 800 959 8281 to request copies of these forms.
Please note the following terms and conditions apply:
- $10 Access key fee (non-refundable), regular NSC membership rates and payments apply.
- Short-term disability or conditions that are expected to be recovered from, are not eligible for this membership.
- Caregivers of members will pay the regular membership rate they are eligible for eg. senior, spouse, adult. This does not apply if the disability member requires assistance/supervision from the caregiver for safety reasons etc... The caregiver must remain with the disability member at all times. They are not permitted to perform their own fitness program using the fitness equipment.
- Free day use lockers are available, please bring your own lock.
- .50 cents for day use locker in the changing rooms with the lock provided - see Front Desk.
- .25 cents for day use locker on track level with the lock provided - see Front Desk.
Our change rooms open Monday, August 30, 2021. Day use lockers are available. Long-term rentals are on hold until further notice.
We only accept photo ID as collateral. If you do not have photo ID we cannot rent you a day locker. There are free day use lockers in the first change rooms on the lower level - bring your own lock for day use.
We also offer convenient monthly locker rentals for $12.60. Tired of carrying your shampoo, shoes and shorts around with you? Keep your gear here all the time and never worry about forgetting it, losing it or having it stolen. These lockers are tall - perfect for your winter coat, boots and more!
Monthly locker rentals are available on a first come, first serve basis. We cannot hold, or contact members they become available. Please check with our staff regularly (we cannot predict if a member will renew their rental or not). The best time to ask? Between April and August when things slow down.
Please do not leave valuables out in the open or unsecured. We are not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen articles.