This micro-credential provides students with the essential skills required to create compelling user experiences for desktop, tablet, and mobile users. Students will learn to plan, and design effective user interfaces based on aesthetic, psychological, scientific, and technological considerations.
Topics include user-centred design, identifying requirements, information architecture, persuasive UX and the ethics of design, sustainable behaviour, user engagement, storytelling for UXD, and gamification.
Students will build mock-ups and create wireframes to test the user experience.
Micro-credential includes two courses:
- Introduction to User Interface (UI) and User Experience (UX) Design
- Intermediate User Interface (UI) and User Experience (UX) Design
Register at least two business days in advance of each course.
This stackable micro-credential can be applied towards the Continuing Studies Certificate in User Experience (UX) Design and Development Skills as two qualifying courses.
What is a Micro-Credential?
Micro-credentials are short, focused credentials that verify mastery of a skill or competency, and are designed to target high-demand skills, leading to faster hiring.
Micro-credentials are awarded in a digital form, which is verified, secure and shareable with peers, employers and educational providers.
Micro-credentials are not for university degree credit.
Working with your OCAD U Account
As a student, you will receive an OCAD U user account, which will grant you access to the OCAD U learning management system, called Canvas.
Your Canvas account will be enabled one week prior to the start date of your course. Login at canvas.ocadu.ca.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance using your Canvas account.
Other questions about Micro-Credentials and registration? We are here to help - contact email@example.com.
- Students must complete the two qualifying courses within twelve months.
- Students must submit the online micro-credential request form along with the administrative fee to obtain the micro-credential and digital badge.
- Instructors assess the student's work and issue a grade of pass or fail.
- Students must receive a passing grade in the course, for the course to qualify for the micro-credential.
- Gain an intermediate proficiency of the UI/UX design process, roles, and skillsets
- Learn methods to understand users’ needs and business requirements
- Gain insight into UI/UX design best practices and applied these principles to an application design
- Learn how to evaluate the usability of test designs
- A refined appreciation for the theory and sensibilities of user experience (UX) design on digital devices
- Improved individual and collaborative skills in design-based problem solving
- The ability to apply motivation, empathy, cognitive economics, gamification principles, storytelling, user engagement, and to understand the ethical implications of all of the above as means of designing and evaluating user experience (UX) and developing
- Create a small project in stages that applies some of the cognitive behavioural principles discussed in class, using a creative design brief, scenarios, a journey map, and a prototype
Please note that courses may be cancelled at any time due to low enrolment. Upon cancellation, registrants will receive a full refund.